Penn 4/0 Red Spool

Started by Limey, December 04, 2011, 10:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

Hi to all on the other side of the pond.

I think I know the answer to this one already but here goes:

I managed to get hold on a Senator 4/0 with a red spool and graphite cross bars front and rear. The cross bars and spool are shot away beyond all possible use. I actually wondered how someone has managed to put what looks like a saw edge on the spool rims and craters in it whilst bursting the screws out of the graphite bars. The internals were actually full of sand mixed with grease.

I'm guessing that I need to replace the spool with a new black version (or stainless?) and the graphite sections with chrome posts unless anyone knows where I can obtain a red spool and graphite bars. Something tells me that the red alloy spools are going to be a more difficult than obtaining red plastic spools for the old squidders.

Best wishes

Limey

Irish Jigger

Red Alloy  (Anniversary) spools are as scarce as hens teeth in the UK but some of the guys on here  collect them so you may just be lucky ;D ;D ;D

BTW did you have the 26-155 Bearing problem resolved?

Limey

I didn't know I had a bearing problem, I have flushed them with thinners and will re-lube. Is there anything else I should know?

Cheers

Limey

Irish Jigger

The Chinese ones recently supplied by Penn Servicing for your Surfmaster 100 and 200 reels.

Limey

Ahh right very sorry, I struggle to think of two things at once.

I have given the Surfmaster bearings to a mate who works in a machine shop, he is going to skim 0.5mm off of the inside face of the nut where it sits on the outer face of the side plate to push the bearing further left. I'll let you know how it goes. If its no good I'll buy another set here in the UK and try a set from the US from Scotts or Chef Jim to compare.

Cheers

Limey

Irish Jigger

Thanks for that L.    I am interested in case I need these Bearings again. Skimming the inside face should help. You might like to try a "quick fix" by inserting a single lead shot inside the Bearing which should push the spool slightly away from the handle side of the reel. This method works with both spool bearings depending on which way the spool needs moving.
Good Luck,IJ.

Limey

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mick at Penn servicing had mentioned inserting a lead shot or peice of solder. I haven't tried this as I sometimes add a squirt of grease when fishing if the reel gets a bit lively and dont know if the shot would get in the way. I got a spares of repair surfmaster that actually had a ball bearing hammered into the bearing once.

Cheers

Limey

Alto Mare

A lead shot is a good idea, I don't believe that it would get in the way of you greasing the bearing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Hey Limey:  I think I know the reel you are talking about.  If you can, would you please post some photos.  If I am not mistaken the cross supports are not graphite.  I may be way off.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Limey,

I'm sure someone can add to this, but I don't think Penn used graphite till long after the 50th anniversary. Also, there is a red 113H spool, never been spooled on Ebay now for $40... it's not a bad deal.

Good luck,
Dom

Alto Mare

Thanks Dom...I was negotiating with the seller ::).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 05, 2011, 02:35:37 AM
Hey Limey:   I may be way off.  Dominick

You " may " be off ? Isn't the weekend Zin time? ::)

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 05, 2011, 03:57:14 AM
Quote from: Pescachaser on December 05, 2011, 02:35:37 AM
Hey Limey:   I may be way off.  Dominick

You " may " be off ? Isn't the weekend Zin time? ::)
Sal: My neighbor gave me a nine year old bottle of Malbec.  ish wunnaful. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Sorry Sal... just trying to help a fellow member.  You usually beat me to the punch, I shoulda known  :o
Dom

Irish Jigger