Accurate 270 Drags

Started by Snagged2, December 04, 2011, 07:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snagged2

Howdy,,
Recently, I've been fortunate to look inside a couple of Accurate reels,, Nice reels for sure..
An Accurate 270 2-speed and a 665H single speed.

Basically, on the 270 2-speed I have here,, it needed a new clicker ring, and the little spring for the 2-speed lock plate..
I got the parts from Accurate, and got all that working properly,,

My issue is.. the Drags,,  The carbon drag washers, didn't look damaged or contaminated,, so, I thought I'd clean them, re-grease, and finish up the job,,

However,, when I'm testing the "feel" of the drags,, they aren't very smooth,, kind of a slow lumpy, bumpy feel ,,,Nothing looks bent, or warped, galled up, etc.. Everything related looks to be in nice condition.

Not being familiar with these reels,, any helpful opinions would be appreciated about this,,
Are new drag washers in order??

Thanks,
Greg

REK

If you're thumbing the spool and turning the handle to check drag smoothness, I've found that a lot of reels feel "lumpy/bumpy". When a fish is ripping line out, it's smooth as silk.

Snagged2

Thanks REK,
Hopefully, that's the issue,, as everything inside, looked in good shape!!
I did pull line to test as well, but, more than likely not the best method..
Thanks again

wallacewt

a lot of drags work better once they are "burnt" in.you can tie off onto the back of your car and give it a burst,and simulate a fish.good fun but it is a learning curve.cheers

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on December 05, 2011, 12:11:49 AM
a lot of drags work better once they are "burnt" in.you can tie off onto the back of your car and give it a burst,and simulate a fish.good fun but it is a learning curve.cheers
Wallace:  I tried this.  I tied the line on to the back of my car (Chevy Blazer) and gave it a burst.  Nothing happened ??????  Then I realized that nothing would happen as long as I still had the rod in my hand, even though it was tied to my bumper.  So I returned to my garage and put the rod on the work bench.  I gave the car a burst and the rod and reel just followed after the car bouncing along the pavement.  I don't know about this advice.  The best advice I can give is do not drink and drive.  It screws up the best of rods and reels.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

;D ;D
I believe this is what the kids call 'LOL'.
Cheers Dominick - that was hilarious.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Snagged2

I mounted the reel to a good stout rod,, then tied the line to my big 125# Labrador retriever,, then released one of my neighbors prized chickens,,,

The drag seems good!!!

Dominick

Quote from: Snagged2 on December 05, 2011, 03:30:04 AM
I mounted the reel to a good stout rod,, then tied the line to my big 125# Labrador retriever,, then released one of my neighbors prized chickens,,,

The drag seems good!!!

Good one Snag ;D :D ;D :D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

hafnor

Had the same "issue" with my boss 2 speed 600 a while back. My theory is this. if you engage small amount of drag (up to 5 pounds) the drag is a bit uneven. I guess it is because each drag plate only produces 2,5 pounds of drag and that is a bit low for these reels. Once you hook it up to something solid and pull the drag 10-20 pounds it is truly silky smooth.

Jim

Just a tiny bit of random contamination on the drag washer can cause exactly this also.
Had a brand new atd50 exhibit this, took it apart, chemically cleaned the drag washers and plate, re-applied a breath of Cals grease to the washers, 100% good to go. I was told by a tech when I called Accurate to try this, he was right.

alantani

load it up with 10 pounds of drag and it should smooth right out!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Snagged2

Thanks for the tech tips and info,,
Latched onto a scale and tested the drag from low to "high" and it seems fishable..

Problem is,, most of the fishing we do around here, needs nowhere near the drag these reels make!! LOL

The owner of the reel brought it to me in a serious state of mal-adjustment,, so, hopefully knowledge will truly be power from here on out!