Sealine "frankenreel" ideas

Started by Decker, April 30, 2020, 02:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Hi Guys,

I know some things have been posted on these topics.  For some reason I can no longer use Google to find alantani.com postings by keywords, but that is a problem for another day.  Today, I want to talk about some fun projects.  Hope someone has experience on these subjects and can comment:

1) Sealine 300H:  I have a 300H in decent shape, and understand it is possible to install a 50H main gear in it to increase the retrieve ratio. Is it just the main gear that needs to be switched?  I see that Cortez Conversions has the stainless sleeve to fit that reel.

2) Sealine 30H: I have the Gamefisher branded version of this reel.  I prefer the 30H size to the 50H, and would use it for inshore bottom fishing or chunking for blues and  stripers.  I noticed by looking at Daiwa schematics that it has the same main and pinion as the 47H.  I also have a 47SH and am wondering if it might be possible to swap out the 47SH gears into the 30H to get a 5:1 retrieve.  Also, is it possible to increase the drag of the 30H?

3) Sealine 27H: I have a couple of these that I like for casting bait in the bay.  Haven't tried surf-casting with one yet.  Is there any way to increase the drag strength? What about increasing the retrieve using gears from the 27SH?  

I've found this site to be a great resource for checking out schematics:  https://www.planetseafishing.com/reel-schematics/daiwa-models/daiwa-multipliers/daiwa-sealine.   It looks like Mike's RR is a good source for parts.  Is it possible to get parts for these reels directly from Daiwa as well?

Appreciate whatever guidance anyone can offer!

Cheers,
/Joe

xjchad

Joe,
For the 300H, you need to use the 50H main AND pinion gear to increase the ratio.
The 50H main will not work with the 300H pinion.
I'm building a couple of these for Darin right now.

Not sure on the others.

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

Quote from: xjchad on April 30, 2020, 03:16:38 PM
Joe,
For the 300H, you need to use the 50H main AND pinion gear to increase the ratio. The 50H main will not work with the 300H pinion.

Thanks, Chad.  Should have known that from my recent experience with Penn franken-reeling ::)

Looking forward to seeing your 300H build.  Hopefully I'll be on your coattails  ;)

Ron Jones

Don't know if it will work, but the fast 30H idea sounds awesome!
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Rancanfish

Joe, years ago I bought a Daiwa reels binder online. I just go to the book and look up / match part numbers to see what works.

Someday I'm going to print out the conventionals schematics and put together booklets to share.

But meanwhile, Porthos threads are where all the Daiwa info you need resides.  He's the 'Bo' knows of Daiwa reels, because he actually fishes them on the boats.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Decker

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 30, 2020, 04:47:46 PM
Joe, years ago I bought a Daiwa reels binder online. I just go to the book and look up / match part numbers to see what works.

Someday I'm going to print out the conventionals schematics and put together booklets to share.

But meanwhile, Porthos threads are where all the Daiwa info you need resides.  He's the 'Bo' knows of Daiwa reels, because he actually fishes them on the boats.

Randy, we're on the same page!  Although I can memorize or guess a lot of Penn part numbers, I'm lost with the Daiwa ones.  I'd like to put together a spreadsheet like the Penn part catalogs for Sealine parts.

I've read most of Porthos' posts, about the Sealines and the Penn 27.  Yes, he's the site's Daniel Boone of Daiwa conventionals :)  

I might actually have to do some first-hand experimentation myself, but like following up on the advice of the experienced members. ;)

Porthos

Quote from: Decker on April 30, 2020, 02:52:23 PM
2) Sealine 30H: I have the Gamefisher branded version of this reel.  I prefer the 30H size to the 50H, and would use it for inshore bottom fishing or chunking for blues and  stripers.  I noticed by looking at Daiwa schematics that it has the same main and pinion as the 47H.  I also have a 47SH and am wondering if it might be possible to swap out the 47SH gears into the 30H to get a 5:1 retrieve.  Also, is it possible to increase the drag of the 30H?

3) Sealine 27H: I have a couple of these that I like for casting bait in the bay.  Haven't tried surf-casting with one yet.  Is there any way to increase the drag strength? What about increasing the retrieve using gears from the 27SH?  

For #2, I didn't consider experimenting 47SH parts on the 30H when I was restoring my 47SH. It was always in the back of my mind that the 30SH and the SMF170H existed and so any swapping to higher gearing would just be done between the 30's and 170's reel families. I do know that the 47SH gear sleeve will accept the handle from the 30H, so the potential is there.

For #3, Don't have any 27xx reels yet (still actively on the hunt for ones reasonably priced). Your best bet is to replace the Daiwa factory cardboard washers with CF ones and see if that offers an improvement. What is your measured max now?

If the 47xx handle fits on the 27xx, one of the best upgrades for 30's, 47's, and 170's and will be a modified Penn Type A power handle, you can potentially gain 1" or more leverage.

Decker

Quote from: Porthos on April 30, 2020, 06:38:47 PM

For #2, I didn't consider experimenting 47SH parts on the 30H when I was restoring my 47SH. It was always in the back of my mind that the 30SH and the SMF170H existed and so any swapping to higher gearing would just be done between the 30's and 170's reel families. I do know that the 47SH gear sleeve will accept the handle from the 30H, so the potential is there.

For #3, Don't have any 27xx reels yet (still actively on the hunt for ones reasonably priced). Your best bet is to replace the Daiwa factory cardboard washers with CF ones and see if that offers an improvement. What is your measured max now?

If the 47xx handle fits on the 27xx, one of the best upgrades for 30's, 47's, and 170's and will be a modified Penn Type A power handle, you can potentially gain 1+" or more leverage.

I appreciate the advice.   No objective drag info on the 27H; don't have the means of measuring.  I'm assuming that like the other metal-framed Sealines, it can handle a good bit more than the stock drag.  We'll see.  I have much more imagination than experience.  

I've been able to find a decent 27H for about $30 shipped.  Haven't bought a 27SH, because they seem rarer and go for higher prices, for a small gain in retrieve ratio.

Thanks again.

Porthos

I'm gonna guess you've seen this already (170 left, 47SH right; the black handle used to be on the 170):

Decker

Cool, yeah, I did see that.  Need to upgrade my handles.   Do you find the magnets on the 170 to be useful?  I'm going to look into 170 gears to consider for the 30.

I believe you had said you were fishing the 47SH very deep for lingcod.  I haven't done any deep dropping yet, but a strong levelwind has to be a big advantage for all of the cranking.

Decker

I reread Mai's post (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20322.0) where he shows the head plates of the 30H and SMF170 are interchangeable. Looking at schematics and making comparisons, I'm confused:

SMF170 main and pinion is listed on this schematic (https://www.planetseafishing.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/daiwa/multipliers/smf-series/daiwa-multiplying-smf170(83-36).pdf) as part# B12-1401(main) and  750-6012(pinion.)  

That can't be right, because the 30H which has a different ratio, appears to use those same parts.  Going by specs, the 30H (https://www.planetseafishing.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/daiwa/multipliers/sealine-series/daiwa-sealine-30h(81-108).pdf)  has a 3.8:1 ratio, while the SMF170 is about 5:1. No comprendo!

My goal is to put the faster SMF170 gears into a 30h.

Rancanfish

Joe, 

Make sure you are looking up the 170 'H',  it's different than a 170.

Decker

Quote from: Decker on May 01, 2020, 03:33:14 PM
I reread Mai's post (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20322.0) where he shows the head plates of the 30H and SMF170 are interchangeable. Looking at schematics and making comparisons, I'm confused:

SMF170 main and pinion is listed on this schematic (https://www.planetseafishing.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/daiwa/multipliers/smf-series/daiwa-multiplying-smf170(83-36).pdf) as part# B12-1401(main) and  750-6012(pinion.)  

That can't be right, because the 30H which has a different ratio, appears to use those same parts.  Going by specs, the 30H (https://www.planetseafishing.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/daiwa/multipliers/sealine-series/daiwa-sealine-30h(81-108).pdf)  has a 3.8:1 ratio, while the SMF170 is about 5:1. No comprendo!

My goal is to put the faster SMF170 gears into a 30h.

Quote from: Rancanfish on May 01, 2020, 05:31:36 PM
Make sure you are looking up the 170 'H',  it's different than a 170.

Good point, Randy  ::)

So the schematic of the SMF170H (https://www.planetseafishing.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/daiwa/multipliers/smf-series/daiwa-multiplying-smf170h(83-35).pdf) shows  the main gear B62-7101, and the pinion B62-6601.  I find the main (drive gear) available for sale, but not the pinion.  

Anyone know where I can find the Daiwa pinion part# B62-6601?  I tried Mike's RR and eB,with no luck.

Rancanfish

I'm batting zero on locating that.  Parts reel maybe?