Avet MXJ issues

Started by Hff, December 06, 2011, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hff

So I recently purchased an MXJ 5.8 for jigging the east coast of Australia (Kingfish up to 15kg hopefully!!!).

When the reel arrived I dissembled to pack bearings and grease drag, and found that a spool spring washer (MXJ5.8-015) was missing!
I've emailed Avet to try and arrange another washer, but have recieved no reply :(

Also I changed the Belleville washer config to (()) in an attempt to increase max drag, but I think i need a spacer washer to make this happen.

Does anyone know where to order additional washers, or should I just bide my time with Avet?

Cheers!

HereFishyFishy

akfish

I would be very careful tweaking the drag on an MX. If you push it over the max stated drag (I think that's 9 pounds) you will fry the pinion bearing immediately. These are nice reels but really not meant for more than 30# line. The MX Raptor does about twice that drag -- at twice the price.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: akfish on December 06, 2011, 01:49:11 PM
you will fry the pinion bearing immediately.

Yup, like sometimes as soon as you push the lever to strike, or drop the reel under higher than designed for drag load.   The MX is a great reel and I love mine but they could be better.

The arangement of the bellville washers and number of them found in the reels has been inconsistant for as long as I've owned Avet reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Hff

Thanks for the replies,

I've set the drag to just before i get any side bearing load (handle doesn't get hard to turn), and it seems that I get just over 8kg (18lbs in old money) with the belleville washers in )()( configuration.

Can you see any problems with turning them this way?

All the other tutorials suggest (()) to reach higher drag pressures

Cheers

Laurence

akfish

I think 18# is a bit too much drag for that reel. Very soon the bearing will fry....
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Hff

AK, I meant 18lbs max drag. Avet state the max drag is 16lbs.

Is 2lbs over really going to fry the bearing quick?

alantani

i dunno, lawrence.  i've had so much trouble with avet bearings.  under a heavy enough load, you can crunch any bearing, not just avet, but all of us have seen this problems pop up before.  in all fairness, there is a limit to any design, and we are constantly pushing those limits.  but i, for one, still see alot of problems with these reels.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

oh, to get back to your original question, is it a bronze washer or a stainless steel washer?  i have both and can send you either.  alan

Hff

Alan, They are stainless washers. You are a bloody legend!

Anyway...

Avet got back to me, and wanted me to call the Australian distributor in WA. I phoned them after they did not reply to my emails... and they dont deal directly with the public. Now thats customer service!

alantani

Dazza-K

Quote from: Hff on December 08, 2011, 07:39:32 AM
Alan, They are stainless washers. You are a bloody legend!

Anyway...

Avet got back to me, and wanted me to call the Australian distributor in WA. I phoned them after they did not reply to my emails... and they dont deal directly with the public. Now thats customer service!

Avet service is a joke for Australians , I contacted the avet distributor in WA for some bearings and they no idea on the sizes, but to be honest I've emailed Avet direct a few times and they flat just ignore Australians, shame, seems the company has got too big and busy for the current people running it. There is so much potential for big sale here as they are a nice reel.

Hff

While its reassuring to hear that others have experienced the same issues, it's sad that once again Australians miss out.

Do we smell or something???

I'm not even going to mention that we have to pay ~50% more for products compared to our friends north of the equator ??? ???

alantani

i totally lost track of this post.  did i ever get those washers to you?

Hff

You sure did. They worked a treat!

alantani

getting harder to keep track of things!   ;D