Okuma Cavalla 15-II vs. Fin-nor offshore OFC30L star drag

Started by Inspiro, December 06, 2011, 05:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspiro

Dear all
I'm considering adding a conventional reel to be used for medium-heavy jigging (several species)and sometimes bottom fishing mainly for groupers

I'm considering one of the other options, price in Egypt is very close
First is the Cavalla 15 two speed, but I'm new to jigging, so I have some questions:
Is it suitable for Jigging?
Is the "silent anti reverse" strong enough for jigging?
Is it suitable for usage with braided line?

The other option is the Fin-nor offshore OFC30L star drag

Things I like about the Cavalla:
T-handle
Lever drag
Two speed will come in useful to winch groupers while bottom fishing

Things where the Fin-nor has an edge(slightly)
Stronger drag(35 vs 32)
Lighter weight(25 vs 28.7)
Higher line capacity

Here are the specs for the two for your reference:

Cavalla 15-II
•   6061-T6 machined aluminum frame with forged aluminum side plates,
•   helical cut gears,
•   greased Carbonite drag system,
•   proprietary silent anti-reverse system
•   patented T-Bar handle
•   two-speed: 4.7:1 & 2.0:1
•   4 Ball bearings
•   Line Capacity: 550/20, 410/25, 310/30
•   Max drag at strike:24
•   Max Drag:32
•   Weight:28.7

Fin-nor OFC30L star drag:
•   Diecast aluminum body and side covers.
•   Machined aluminum spool.
•   Overiszed stainless steel main gear.
•   Brass pinion gear.
•   Infinite Anti-Reverse with backup pawl and ratchet.
•   5 Stainless steel bearings.
•   4.3:1 gear ratio
•   Mono line capacity:365/40
•   Braid line capacity: 675/65
•   Weight:25 oz
•   Max Drag: 35

Your opinions is very appreciated
Regards
Inspiro

alantani

the finnor is a very, very, very close copy of the daiwa saltist.  it is so close that for a while i thought that there was perhaps some dealings going on between the two companies.  they both use an ambassaduer style dog.  they are both trouble.  i would avoid these reels.  sorry, but i am just not a big fan of this anti-reverse system.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jimmer

Cavalla all the way. 2 speeds, nice handle, double dog anti reverse and stainless helical gears . I think all manufacturers overstate their max drag and drag at strike with freespool. Boghy did a post on hot rodding the drag on a cavalla 50, adding a spool sleeve would probably help increase max drag with freespool as well by spreading the axial load on the spool between both spool bearigs. Cavalla gets my vote, way more reel for the money in my humble opinion.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Inspiro

Dear Alan
Thanks alot fro your -trusted-opinion
Do you believe teh Cavalla will be a better option for jigging??

Inspiro

conchydong

Inspiro, of the two reels the Cavalla is probably the better over all reel, especially for bait fishing, but it is not well suited for jigging.
For Jigging, the spec.s give the Fin Nor the advantage. The Fin Nor is narrower, lighter, slightly higher gear ratio and more inches per crank line pickup and has both pawl and anti-reverse bearing. For Asian style vertical jigging the one way bearings eliminate the slop when using rapid jigging motions. Not sure what drag material is used in the Fin Nor though.
I vote reluctantly for the Fin Nor for your proposed application.

alantani

one of these days i'm going to have to try this jigging stuff.  i feel line most of the world has moved on and i'm still listening to 8 track tapes!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Inspiro

Dear Jimmer
Thanks for your opinion

Dear Conchydong
Will the Fin-nor be that much better while jigging, as it seems there is an agrrement that that cavalla is superior in many other areas

Inspiro

conchydong

IMO the Fin Nor is better suited for jigging if that is the primary use, however, other factors you may want to consider are the following: 
The Cavalla series has been discontinued by Okuma in favor of the Makaira,you may want to inquire as to how long will Okuma support the parts?
Are parts readily available in Egypt for the Fin Nor? No matter how good a reel is, eventually something may need to be repaired due to the harsh saltwater environment, even if you due the Alan Tani preventative maintenance.

What feels good in your hands? I prefer the narrower, taller spooled reels for jigging but you may feel comfortable with the lower wider reel. What species of fish are you targeting? If it is mostly bottom dwellers such as grouper,  the lower retrieve may be sufficient with a slightly slower jigging method and the lack of a one-way bearing won't be as noticable. If it is high speed Pelagics that like a faster moving jig than the higher line per crank retrieve reel might be the better choice. Even though the Cavalla has a slightly higher gear ratio, the line retrieval rate is slower due to the smaller wider spool.

An old style trinidad 40N, Shimano Ocea Jigger or even one of the new A series Trinidads with double pawls or better yet a Jigging Master reel would be ideal if it is within your budget.

If it boils down to getting the best deal, than go for whatever one you can get for the best value. I have seen the Cavallas NIB heavily discounted on e-bay because they are being discontinued. Less than 1/2 of their original sticker price.

Good Luck with your decision.

Inspiro

a question off topic
which species do require a fast retrieve ratio?
Won't that compromise torque?

We have tunas,aj,gt,snappers,groupers,giant baracudas
very few exceed 70lb

inspiro

Dominick

I'm going out on a limb here.  Would someone explain what jigging is and what kind of fish are jigged?  If jigging is going to a deep spot and dropping down an iron jig and bouncing it up and down then I have done it.  Not that I had a good time because my arms became exhausted.  I caught a Grouper once and was more tired bringing the Grouper to the boat than  a Marlin.  I really like trolling and on occasion sturgeon fishing on a warm sunny day.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Irish Jigger

Hi Dominick, you too have been a jigger just as I have been for the last 50 years, jigging pollack and cod using 12/16oz "irons" in the Irish Sea.  A few years back Shimano  began   promoting  "Speed Jigging" which was basically a very fast form of jigging wothy of  an Olympic sport.The emphasis  being on very short Shimano rods married to Shimano Stella high end reels and associated Shimano  "speed jigs" all costing the Earth. It is a popular sport targeting a great variety of species and having a cult following. It is to my mind still only   "Vertical Jigging." ;)

wallacewt

irish is right on the money,its been around a long time.fast or slow jigging dont matter,still catches fish.short rods 4ft/5.6ft for brutal contact and speed jigs that descend very fast and you have to add the action to the jig.half turn rip,half turn rip,etc.other way is to have a jig that flutters,softer rod and a gentler action,easier in shallow water.both ways actually work in deep or shallow water .fluttering jigs is just slower to get down.depth and current comes into play.hope this helps explain,other guys will have more ideas.cheers  

Dominick

Wallace, Irish:  I assumed that's what it was, but the only way to make sure is to ask.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Inspiro

Sorry for not being able to keep up
Dare I include a Penn Baja Special to the comparison, I thought they were discontinued but found they are availiable again.
It is very close in pricing

Thanks
Inspiro

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer