Can I find this reel?

Started by TonyFriend, December 06, 2011, 08:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: day0ne on December 08, 2011, 07:34:53 AM
If a lever drag isn't important and you can live with a 4.3 to 1 ratio with a tall spool (34 inches per crank) take a look at a Penn 113HN Baja Special. Fits all the other criteria

you know, tony, he's got a good point.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TonyFriend

Quote from: alantani on December 08, 2011, 08:40:14 AM
Quote from: day0ne on December 08, 2011, 07:34:53 AM
If a lever drag isn't important and you can live with a 4.3 to 1 ratio with a tall spool (34 inches per crank) take a look at a Penn 113HN Baja Special. Fits all the other criteria

you know, tony, he's got a good point.......

I'm a huge fan of lever drags. The ability to pre-set to a known drag setting, and to know that no matter how you mess with the drag during a fight, you can always get back to the known point (which is, hopefully, a point where none of the rig should fail) is very important to the way I fish. So sorry, no Baja Special.

Yes, Alan, I know it's only money - and that is probably the best way to solve the problem. Like we used to say back in the 60's, "the fastest way to horsepower is cubic money".   :)

Jimmer

Hi Tony - I think I already beat this to death on another thread, but have you considered the Okuma cavallas in the 15 or 20 sizes? No makaira but still a capable reel that looks to me like it might meet your needs at a lower price if money is an issue (like it is for me).
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

TonyFriend

Quote from: Jimmer on December 08, 2011, 07:40:51 PM
Hi Tony - I think I already beat this to death on another thread, but have you considered the Okuma cavallas in the 15 or 20 sizes? No makaira but still a capable reel that looks to me like it might meet your needs at a lower price if money is an issue (like it is for me).
Interesting call. The Cavalla 15 2 speed looks like a nice reel. I'd be interested to hear Alan's take on this reel, and what are its shortcomings when compared with the corresponding size Makaira and Cedros. What justifies the extra cost of the Makaira and Cedros reels?

alantani

the thrust bearing in the makaira is what makes it special.  it nearly doubles the functional drag range.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel Wild

A large US retailer is clearing out the Cavalla 20 II for under $200.

Dominick

Quote from: Reel Wild on December 08, 2011, 10:21:09 PM

Hey give us the name.  Don't tease us.  It's ok to post a name for that reason.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 08, 2011, 11:51:58 PM
Quote from: Reel Wild on December 08, 2011, 10:21:09 PM

Hey give us the name.  Don't tease us.  It's ok to post a name for that reason.  Dominick

Never mind.  I found it.  Walmart.com.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel Wild

Toriums now on clearance.  They were moving out discontinued Okuma products and now Shimano

TonyFriend

Well, I found it. Thanks to "Jimmer", who made me aware of the Okuma Cavalla, and to Alan, who let me know they are OK (I know, they're not a Makaira  :)  ). From what I can tell, the Cavalla is being discontinued, and I got three Cavalla 15 2-speed reels for less than $200 each on eBay. That looks like a hell of a deal to me. I'm going to spool them up with 65lb PowerPro with a 20' 80lb Fluoro wind-on leader. I think they are going to be great "50lb" reels. Again, thanks to everyone who chipped in with ideas. This is a great site.

TonyFriend

Quote from: ossipeter on December 16, 2011, 06:06:57 PM
How about one off this reels:
http://www.tackledirect.com/fin-nor-santiago-reels.html

Thanks for the thought.

Nice reels, and a great deal at Tackledirect. But the Santiago are way too heavy.
I actually sold a Santiago 12 on eBay for $255 (way cheap) because it was too heavy, and kinda noisy to use as well.

arron

Perhaps the CANYON REELS HS30 or HSX30  are you're looking for!

rx7240sx

i have been looking for the same thing the closeist i have found is the daiwa saltist 30 big game 34 oz 15.4 at strike 30 at maxs. i have played with it feel nice and not heavy.

rx7240sx

plus you can find them on ebay for 229