Can I find this reel?

Started by TonyFriend, December 06, 2011, 08:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyFriend

I'm looking for a reel to put on a 50lb rig. With all the reels out there, it should be easy to find one, but either I'm missing something obvious, or there's a gap in the market. Can anyone make a suggestion?

Lever drag
Max drag at strike:  around 20lb, a bit less may be OK, don't need more
Spool capacity: 400 to 450 yds of 65lb Spectra with 25 to 50 yds of 50lb topshot
Must have lugs
Single speed OK, 2 speed better
High-speed retrieve (say 5:1 or so)
Machined aluminum frame
Weighs less that 30oz
Costs less than $300 (or thereabouts)
Of course it must have greased carbon drags

Here's what I think is correct:
The Okuma Makaira or Cedros fill the spec, but at too high a price
The Shimano Tyrnos 20 looks close, but it's too heavy, and only 16.5lb at strike
The Shimano TLD 20 2 speed is too heavy, and does not have aluminum frame
Believe it or not, the Shimano TLD20 (single speed) is very close, but for the frame material and the retrieve speed
The Fin Nor Marquesa 20 is close, but no lugs

What am I missing?

Black Pearl

Quote from: TonyFriend on December 06, 2011, 08:52:31 PM
I'm looking for a reel to put on a 50lb rig. With all the reels out there, it should be easy to find one, but either I'm missing something obvious, or there's a gap in the market. Can anyone make a suggestion?

Max drag at strike:  around 20lb, a bit less may be OK, don't need more
Spool capacity: 400 to 450 yds of 65lb Spectra with 25 to 50 yds of 50lb topshot
Must have lugs
Single speed OK, 2 speed better
High-speed retrieve (say 5:1 or so)
Machined aluminum frame
Weighs less that 30oz
Costs less than $300
Of course it must have greased carbon drags

Here's what I think is correct:
The Okuma Makaira or Cedros fill the spec, but at too high a price
The Shimano Tyrnos 20 looks close, but it's too heavy
The Shimano TLD 20 2 speed is too heavy, and does not have aluminum frame
Believe it or not, the Shimano TLD20 (single speed) is very close, but for the frame material and the retrieve speed
The Fin Nor Marquesa 20 is close, but no lugs

What am I missing?

How about this?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2065.0

TonyFriend

OMOTO VS-12 INFINITY XPOWER

Sorry - doesn't meet the criteria - surely this doesn't qualify as a 50lb reel?

Only 13 lb Max drag on strike with free spool
No lugs

Black Pearl

Quote from: TonyFriend on December 07, 2011, 12:55:57 AM

No lugs

Then, how about AVET LX, JX or HX?

TonyFriend

Quote from: Black Pearl Fishing Tackle on December 07, 2011, 01:19:05 AM
Quote from: TonyFriend on December 07, 2011, 12:55:57 AM

No lugs

Then, how about AVET LX, JX or HX?

Neither the LX or JX have lugs, and max drag at strike is only 15lb.
HX is close. $100 over the price limit for the 2 speed HX 5/2, and a little slow on the retrieve for the HX 4.2
An HX single speed with a 5.4:1 ratio would be right on.

day0ne

Quote from: TonyFriend on December 06, 2011, 08:52:31 PM
What am I missing?

Let's see. You want a machined aluminum frame, 2 speed, 50lb class reel, obviously a lever drag, since you quote strike drag amounts and it shouldn't cost over $300. Probably want quality too. I'll take a few myself, but I'm not holding my breath.

The first thing to consider is what you plan to use the reel for. Both type of fishing (trolling, jigging, if jigging, what type, bottom fishing, etc), and species sought. Example, if vertical jigging, then most vert jigging reels don't have lugs. Next, what features are set in stone and which can be compomised. Example, gear ratio. Why 5.0 to 1. Can it be 6.3 or 4.8? Are you most interested in the amount of line per crank or just the gear ratio? Can the drag at strike be more? How much less? For fishing 50, 16-17 lbs total seems about right. Is a lever drag necessary (they cost more)? 2 speeds add a lot to the cost also. In other words, if we knew more about how the reel will be used and for what, we might be more help. In many cases you might be better off looking at quality used reels
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

TonyFriend

The first thing to consider is what you plan to use the reel for. Both type of fishing (trolling, jigging, if jigging, what type, bottom fishing, etc), and species sought. Example, if vertical jigging, then most vert jigging reels don't have lugs. Next, what features are set in stone and which can be compromised. Example, gear ratio. Why 5.0 to 1. Can it be 6.3 or 4.8? Are you most interested in the amount of line per crank or just the gear ratio? Can the drag at strike be more? How much less? For fishing 50, 16-17 lbs total seems about right. Is a lever drag necessary (they cost more)? 2 speeds add a lot to the cost also. In other words, if we knew more about how the reel will be used and for what, we might be more help. In many cases you might be better off looking at quality used reels

You raise good points. Of course, quality used reels are an option - but I wanted to use "new" to keep the playing field level. As I said, 2 speed is preferred, but not essential. Usage is trolling. Gear ratio is not the real issue, but a high-speed retrieve is. I picked 5:1 as an indication. As mentioned earlier, Avet HX single speed goes very close. Makaira is almost ideal, except for the price.

It seems to me that there would be a lot of people looking for a reel like this - but maybe I just think a lot of people fish like me.

Reinaard van der Vossen

the Makaira is a top dog reel and therefore not cheap. As it is new you will not find any used ones.

What about an Omoto Poseidon Q30-II or S30-II or it's smaller brother, the Q22-II. I think the Q30 can already put out some 50LB of drag (advertised)

I have a Q16-II which is to small for your application although it is on a 50lb travel rod. It is not in the Makaira or Accurate league but I was pleasantly surprised about the quality. I think it can do more than 30 lb of drag for the Q16

I have some photograp's in this topic: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1522.0

Edit: Omoto S30-II has 44 lb drag max and the S22-II has 35 lb drag max which is well above your required 20lb drag. Both are two speed but the high gear is lower than your preference and both have lugs. The 22 can be purchased  below your required price.

Black pearl fishing used to have these in the past and if you ask him he might still have them or might be able to give you a lead

Edit2: I was correct: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OMOTO-Poseidon-S22-II-2-Speeds-Lever-Drag-Reel-/110786088051?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cb5d8c73

Edit 3: I have 500 yards of 65 lb powerpro on the Q16-II with a short topshot. Should work on the 22 and 30 size as well than

Black Pearl

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 07, 2011, 07:04:32 AM
the Makaira is a top dog reel and therefore not cheap. As it is new you will not find any used ones.

What about an Omoto Poseidon Q30-II or S30-II or it's smaller brother, the Q22-II. I think the Q30 can already put out some 50LB of drag (advertised)

I have a Q16-II which is to small for your application although it is on a 50lb travel rod. It is not in the Makaira or Accurate league but I was pleasantly surprised about the quality. I think it can do more than 30 lb of drag for the Q16

I have some photograp's in this topic: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1522.0

Edit: Omoto S30-II has 44 lb drag max and the S22-II has 35 lb drag max which is well above your required 20lb drag. Both are two speed but the high gear is lower than your preference and both have lugs. The 22 can be purchased  below your required price.

Black pearl fishing used to have these in the past and if you ask him he might still have them or might be able to give you a lead

Edit2: I was correct: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OMOTO-Poseidon-S22-II-2-Speeds-Lever-Drag-Reel-/110786088051?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cb5d8c73

Edit 3: I have 500 yards of 65 lb powerpro on the Q16-II with a short topshot. Should work on the 22 and 30 size as well than

The Poseidon S30 or S22 will not meet his requirements. They are not 5.1:1 retrieve. I have few S22-II 2 speeds in silver color on sale. Here are couple of pictures of it.

Nemo

I have a like new Daiwa SLD 30-II 2 speed in the classifieds for about half of what you want to spend.  It's not an exact match to what you want, but close.

alantani

tony, the makaira 10 would be your best bet.  with 20 pounds of drag, you have to have a low enough low gear to be able to tie the line off to something and still crank the handle.  remember ed watson?  he can crank this reel with 18 pounds of drag.  this feature is critical.  it means you can stand your ground and work this fish with a heavy drag setting, not just hang on for dear life while he drags you up and down the rail.  you know this as well as anyone.  you have to crank constantly.  that rod tip must stay bent.  if the rod tip comes up, it means you lost an opportunity to gain line. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TonyFriend

Quote from: alantani on December 08, 2011, 06:14:52 AM
tony, the makaira 10 would be your best bet.  with 20 pounds of drag, you have to have a low enough low gear to be able to tie the line off to something and still crank the handle.  remember ed watson?  he can crank this reel with 18 pounds of drag.  this feature is critical.  it means you can stand your ground and work this fish with a heavy drag setting, not just hang on for dear life while he drags you up and down the rail.  you know this as well as anyone.  you have to crank constantly.  that rod tip must stay bent.  if the rod tip comes up, it means you lost an opportunity to gain line. 

Alan, I'm sure a Makaira (10? 15?) fills the spec. And yes, I can afford it, but it's just that for this particular application, I didn't want to put that much into it. Also, I thought it quite an interesting issue, as I think a lot of people troll and live bait with 50lb rigs. As I said in my original post, perhaps I'm missing something - but then again, perhaps there is just a hole in the market. An Avet HX single speed with 5.4:1 would go very close, but they don't make one.  :(

TonyFriend

Quote from: Nemo on December 08, 2011, 01:23:18 AM
I have a like new Daiwa SLD 30-II 2 speed in the classifieds for about half of what you want to spend.  It's not an exact match to what you want, but close.

Yes, close, but at 42oz, far too heavy. Nice reel, though. Good luck selling it.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

If a lever drag isn't important and you can live with a 4.3 to 1 ratio with a tall spool (34 inches per crank) take a look at a Penn 113HN Baja Special. Fits all the other criteria
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter