Inconsistent Drag?

Started by K Nguyen, December 07, 2011, 05:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K Nguyen

The subject title might not be accurate to what I am trying to solve.  But I'll give it my best shot.

After months of learning from this awesome site, I concluded Carbontex drag washers are the best upgrade I can do for all my reels.  Slowly I have been upgrading my reels per Alan's recommendation using Cal's Drag Grease on the Carbontex.  On some of the upgraded reel, I noticed a slight pressure change in the drag as I stop the spool with one hand and force turning the handle with the other.  This is my way of quickly checking the drag.  It's not ideal like actually putting line on the spool and pulling on the line to check the drag pressure.

Can anyone tell me why as I turn the handle, with drag engaged, I feel at certain part of the revolution, either easier to turn, or harder to turn?  Is this caused by the variable thickness of the drag washer, or the same variables on the drag disk?  If so, how do I solve this?  I've read on certain "super tuning" reel sites that people will hone and fine lap reel part surfaces to a shiny polish.  I really don't want to get that detailed with my reels.  I rather have an easy and quick resolution to smooth consistent drag 360 degree.

Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays.  Better yet, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Why you don't take Asians fishing with you???
Because we will eat your bait.

mackereljoe

You should still be able to feel smoothly.  If its rough at that low drag setting something is definitely wrong.  For me those thin metal washers seems to get warp or oil contaminated drag washers.  Very hard to put enough thumb pressure to test drag over 5 pounds so better do the conventional and actually pulling line; which has problem on it's own; line not spooled tight that it get burried...

K Nguyen

On some I would feel this inconsistency immediately after the upgrade.  Once everything is put back together, I become too lazy to troubleshoot the problem and tear everything a part again.  Hoping over some usage, everything will smooth out... nope, it's still there after one season of fishing.  I just purchased a new Accurate BX-400X that came out of the box with the same feelings.  That's even more complicated due to the dual drag system.

I really need some help here.

I have ordered more parts from Dawn in preparation for more upgrades and maintenance.  I feel a little gun shy until I know what's the cause of this problem.

Any advice is much appreciated.

kamuwela

it may be sign's of a bearing going bad. how old are the reel's? have the bearing's ever been replaced?  hand testing drag's will give you a false reading. spool the reel and check with a scale.

K Nguyen

Quote from: kamuwela on December 08, 2011, 02:12:24 AM
it may be sign's of a bearing going bad. how old are the reel's? have the bearing's ever been replaced?  hand testing drag's will give you a false reading. spool the reel and check with a scale.

Not a bearing issue K.  Checked all bearings and sometime upgraded bearings with Carbontex drag upgrade.  I will try putting some line on these reels and test drag properly.  Might be a mute point once spooled with line.  Just annoying to me because I didn't notice the issue prior to upgrade.

Keta

Is this happening on one reel or several?  Check to see if you have a warped or bent metal drag washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ratchet

Quote from: K Nguyen on December 07, 2011, 05:53:57 PM
 Slowly I have been upgrading my reels per Alan's recommendation using Cal's Drag Grease on the Carbontex.  On some of the upgraded reel, I noticed a slight pressure change in the drag as I stop the spool with one hand and force turning the handle with the other.  !!!

Freshly greased carbon fiber drag washers will need a breaking-in period before you can expect optimum smoothness. Some of the photos in Alan's tutorials show way too much drag grease being used and the excess has to be redistributed/squeezed out of the drag stack before the drag will work properly.

As others have pointed out, warped metal drag washers could also be the culprit.

alantani

if the carbon fiber drag washers or the metal pressure washers (or both) are not prefectly flat, then you will hit high spots at light drag settings.  under heavy drag settings, things have a way of flattening out.  check the drags under heavy pressure and you will usually find them to be smooth.  can you check and let us know?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

K Nguyen

Quote from: alantani on December 08, 2011, 06:48:09 AM
if the carbon fiber drag washers or the metal pressure washers (or both) are not prefectly flat, then you will hit high spots at light drag settings.  under heavy drag settings, things have a way of flattening out.  check the drags under heavy pressure and you will usually find them to be smooth.  can you check and let us know?  thanks!  alan

What can you say for experience?  That's why I call you the reel Guru Alan.

Alan knew exactly what I was describing and nailed it with his suggestion.  As soon as increase drag pressure, drag is smooth as butta.  I fret over a non-issue but it's good to know so I don't come across like a rookie.

Thanks Alan.