Rebuilding Shimano Triton 300

Started by zward, December 08, 2011, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zward

Does anyone have an idea where to get new drag washers and bearings for a Shimano Triton 300 stardrag? I have a pair I'm rebuilding and haven't found a source for parts yet. They were in really tough shape but after taking apart and cleaning they look good aside from the bearings.

Thanks a bunch for any info,
Zane

alantani

drags may have to be hand cut.  is it a gold baitcaster?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

zward

Nope it's a black graphite frame, kinda looks similar to the 200GT just a bit bigger. Seems like a pretty robust and reliable reel. I was using these for Grouper in the Gulf of Mexico a couple weeks ago and could not believe they were still functional after cracking them open. They're my grandpas old reels and have been in FL for 20+ years w/o cleaning.

Here's a forum thread with pics

http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113789&sid=665caa20e5024b94ab88e8e3ac066860

alantani

got it!  yes, you will have to match something up or hand cut them.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

That is a very collectable reel (for me anyway)...it has an alloy frame, not graphite.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

zward

Thanks for the replies!! Really thats an alloy?? I'll have to take a look at it when I get home, any idea what kind?

Thanks again guys.

Also, any idea where one might get a spool for one of these?? Seems like most parts are pretty slim pickins

basto

Parts and reels are few and far between.

The Mark 1 and 2 are gold anodized reels that do not have a levelwind.

Just like early model Shimano baitcasters, such as Chronarchs and Curados, they are very desireable reels. A bit like how early ABUs are.

basto

Forgot to mention, the Mark 3(s) and 4 (s) models had no levelwind . I think they were designed for surfcasting.

This is the first one I have seen called Triton 300.so I assume the wider levelwind reel is probably called Triton 400.

The Mark 3 and 4 also came in a magged version.

hurt locker

I have rebuilt the drag in my Triton 300's  using Penn Ht-100's. They have a very good size bearing under the star that  press down on 2 big cone washers. The main gear has a recess underneath.  First I put a #6-320 then a black nylon washer from a 47sh that I got from Smooothdrag that fits inside the recess. 1st drag plate inside the gear is a#6-113h and so is the 2nd fiber drag plate. The 3rd fiber drag plate is a #6-320. All are coated with Cal's drag grease. The height tolerance is very close on these reels. Another thing I did was to flatten the metal drag plates with 2000 grit emery cloth and polish them with polishing compound. I use them for Big Cats on the James River and they have been awesome. The drags are silky smooth and the reels are very powerful. It took me a couple of tries before I settled on the Ht-100's. The outside diameters of the 320 and 113h are very close to the stock washers. I have caught some very large Blue cats ( in excess of 60lbs) with them and they handled them with ease. Hope this helps.

Mic

Zane,
Did you ever find any replacement pars for the 300 Triton ?

My father picked up one today and wanted me to open it up and make sure it was ok inside. Trying to find a break down before I just jump in and say I do! The last time I said that it cost me 19 years with a narrow minded woman! It will be 20 in August!

See what I mean ?

Mic

zward

Hey Mic, sorry I just saw the reply to this post, guessing you got it open already but either way.. Wasn't able to find replacement parts, I actually ended up bringing the bent spool in to work and checking the runout/bending it back on the lathe here. There isn't a tutorial for this reel but it's very similar to the shimano speedmaster, mark iii, triton 200 and tekota tutorials. Shoot me a pm if you're still looking for any info on this guy.

And you know on some of these reels I've been stumped for a couple weeks or so and it drove me absolutely crazy, cant imagine 20 years!!  ;D

-Zane