Main Menu

Hi from NY

Started by gadabout, December 10, 2011, 02:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadabout

Thanks again for the warm welcomes.

Bryan - yes we can have great "rock" fishing here, which we of course call striped bass.  We can also have poor striped bass fishing, and that was the name of the game this year.  I only got a total of 5 for the whole year and I fish pretty often.  Here's a typical striper, caught at Montauk Point in October.

broadway

Healthy-looking fish (nice color).... she looks between 26"-28".  Was that your teaser up the line that was hit? ... I do best on that little sucker when I use 'em ;)
Thanks for sharing,
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on December 12, 2011, 01:31:35 AM
Healthy-looking fish (nice color).... she looks between 26"-28".  Was that your teaser up the line that was hit? ... I do best on that little sucker when I use 'em ;)
Thanks for sharing,
Dom
Hey Dom: Do you catch sick looking fish?  You sound impressed at the health of this fish. :o Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gadabout

Dom - It was around 30" if I remember right.  What looks like a teaser is just a piece of rope that I had through the fish's mouth.  It was caught on a metal-lipped swimmer.  I make my own.

broadway

Hey Dominick,
    Lots of times (esp. summer) the stripers come up with red lesions (bacterial infection could be caused by low oxygen levels also) all over, or sea lice, or are a little more olive than the one in the photo which looks like a fall bass (more silvery than olive).  In the fall they can get a red mouth area from breaking clams, rooting around in the sand and smashing eels in the sand.  In the spring/ summertime the bunker are the bait of choice so no need for rooting.  The eels aren't very readily available in the spring/ summer (at least in Brooklyn) so no smashing.  The clams are around however we don't have many storms till late summer/ fall.  The storms bang the clams around so they break on rocks, each other, etc.  ....Sorry for the long winded explanation, but that's why I said healthy looking.
Dom

Alto Mare

Rob, is that a custom spinfisher that you're using?
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gadabout

Sal,

The reel or the rod?  The rod I built myself.  The reel is a Van Staal 300.

Alto Mare

Very nice setup Rob. I'm more impressed on that custom rod. Can you show some more pix of it when you get a chance? Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gadabout

I think this is the only other pic I have of it Sal.  Tough to get a picture of an 11 1/2' 1-piece rod. 

redsetta

I like the design of those Van Staals - a great example of 'form follows function'.
Thor did a tutorial on one a while back that looked really good (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2776.0).
Never seen one in NZ, but will be interested to have a crack at one eventually.
Cheers Rob, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Wow, I'm impressed. I've only done one rod a while back, it was a Broco Unlimited Serie. That thing was a beast, I completely stripped it and refinished it. I think I sold it for $300, never took a picture. I also built me a jig made out of oak with a motor from a rotisserie. After my experience of how much work and patience was needed, I quickly gave up. How did you manage to wrap that 11 1/2' one piece rod? It must have not been easy. Great job! Thanks for sharing. Sal

gadabout

Sal - I've built quite a few one-piece surf rods using just a Thompson thread holder clamped to the sock drawer on my bedroom dresser.  You don't really need a lot of special tools to build a rod.  That's how I built the rod in the photo.  I eventually got a power wrapper / rod turner but I probably built about 40 rods before I got one.

Regarding the Van Staal reels, they are great for certain applications where the reel gets completely submerged, but a hassle to own otherwise.  Fishing in places like Montauk Point, it's nice to be able to use your surf rod as a walking stick due to the difficult wading conditions, so the reel is gonna get dunked all the time.  Also, some guys out there will put on wetsuits and swim out to rocks.  Thats where reels like the Van Staal and the ZeeBass are a big plus.  But the Van Staal, particulary the older ones like mine, were designed to discourage self-maintenance.  Sending them to the factory for maintenance every year or two is expensive.  There's a lot to be said for a good ole Penn 704 or a Mitchell 302, which are the reels that I use most of the time when conditions don't warrant the Van Staal.

redsetta

Cheers for the insight Rob - much appreciated.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer