Fishing Machine

Started by oc1, June 21, 2020, 07:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Made by St. Croix in the late 1970's.  Spincast on 4'10" telescoping rod.  Honestly, St. Croix should be ashamed.  

The weird frame is mostly plastic.  

The lever on top is labeled "Range Finder" but all it does is put some tension on the rotor and then pop loose when line is pulled out.  It is sort of like a bite indicator.

We use this when we need to cast a line up over a tree branch to haul up a rope saw or haul up a block for lifting something heavy.  There are always numerous Fishing Machines available in like-new condition because nobody ever used them more than once; if that.
-steve

Cor

Interesting device, is new to me.
Cornelis

philaroman

professional version of the Popeil? ;D

RC4600

Must have been made by Bell & Howell, does it use 16mm or 35mm Film? Too cool an example of historical flubs. RC

Gobi King

Quote from: RC4600 on June 21, 2020, 12:05:55 PM
Must have been made by Bell & Howell, does it use 16mm or 35mm Film? Too cool an example of historical flubs. RC

Hasselblad ?? ;-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

steelfish

interesting device my friend, thanks for showing it to us

The Baja Guy

philaroman

curious...  among decades of awesome rods,
was there even one good reel from St. Croix or Fenwick?
pretty sure they didn't manufacture their own,
but was there anything half-decent under those brands?

Donnyboat

Well there you go,a little more rod & reel history, thanks for posting Steve, interesting for sure, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Quote from: philaroman on June 21, 2020, 06:08:17 PM
curious...  among decades of awesome rods,
was there even one decent reel from St. Croix or Fenwick?

Not yet...

Surprisingly though -- the times that I have sold these at yard sales -- they go pretty quick and for decent money ($25 - $35).  But I don't think the buyers were very knowledgeable about fishing.

For a better quality combo -- check out the True-Temper Bronson Unispin Under-Rod Reel Combo with the through rod casting release button.  Good quality.  I have one out in the upstairs rod storage.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Interesting.  My first look at one.  Thanks Steve you never disappoint.  More, more off-beat stuff  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Quote from: philaroman on June 21, 2020, 06:08:17 PM
curious...  among decades of awesome rods,
was there even one good reel from St. Croix or Fenwick?
pretty sure they didn't manufacture their own,
but was there anything half-decent under those brands?

Fenwick had a fly reel that was well regarded in its time.  It still has a bit of a following.  Look for the "World Class" line with the disc drag.  The one with the anodized frame (gold or black).  Drag knob aligned with the spindle - not the offset drag.   Haven't fondled one myself, so this is all second hand.

-J

Benni3

That's cool,,,, 8) James bond fishing reel and they do have a use,,, :D I had something like that on a field trip and the teacher got so mad at me for fishing James Madison's ponds,,,,,, ;) it just doesn't get any better than that,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

There are a LOT of those things still around.  They were purchased or given as gifts because of the opportunity for spur-of-the-moment fishing trips.  But, spur-of-the-moment fishing trips hardly ever happen so they were hardly ever actually used. 
-steve

Midway Tommy

They're great for catching "shelf fish" if they're in new condition.  :D They might work for brookies, creek chubs or bluegill but I don't think I'd trust them on anything heavier. I've never bought one for shelfies mostly because everyone I've ever seen in really good shape the owners have been quite proud of them. The search is still on for a shelfie @ $5 or less.  ;D   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Quote from: Benni3 on June 22, 2020, 06:58:53 AM
That's cool,,,, 8) James bond fishing reel and they do have a use,,, :D I had something like that on a field trip and the teacher got so mad at me for fishing James Madison's ponds,,,,,, ;) it just doesn't get any better than that,,,,,,, ;D

James Madison's ponds, ha! i love it!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!