Jigmaster 501 score

Started by Keta, December 12, 2011, 02:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

This was listed on Ebay as a 500 and I picked it up for a good price thinking I could fish with it.  When I took it apart it appearers to have little use.  The eccentric lever was stiff from congealed oil and drag washers show little wear.  The left plate marked 500, the right plate 501.  Too nice to expose to saltwater, it will set with my old reels.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

That's a cracker little reel Keta - quite partial to the 501 meself.
Well done, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

coastalobsession

Nice. I finally collected all the parts for mine and will post the build when the bearing get in.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

CooldadE

I really like the narrower Jigmasters. Great #20 mono reels.  I have two 501 spools and will be patient and score donor reels or parts to put togeather reels. I have a 506 a 501 and 99 width Jigmaster reels. There is always room for more.
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

the reel was clearly used but shows none of the telltale signs of corrosion.  i wonder if it was used in fresh water only. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on December 12, 2011, 06:26:20 AM
the reel was clearly used but shows none of the telltale signs of corrosion.  i wonder if it was used in fresh water only.  

It came out of New Mexico, the discoloration on the outside chrome is a redish dust and oil.   The inside had redish dust in it, not iron oxide.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CooldadE

Not much salt water in New Mexico. Great score...Every Penn reel I've ever cracked open was salty.
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Irish Jigger

Nice little original reel. The 501 has a 500 left side plate although the right side plate is marked 501.

Keta

Quote from: Irish Jigger on December 12, 2011, 09:21:13 AM
Nice little original reel. The 501 has a 500 left side plate although the right side plate is marked 501.

Thanks for the good news.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: CooldadE on December 12, 2011, 07:08:13 AM
Not much salt water in New Mexico. Great score...Every Penn reel I've ever cracked open was salty.

The 501 I picked up before this one had the drag and main gear fused by oil and pressure and I had to soak it overnight to get the washers out.

I have to go to town this afternoon and will take photos of the drive and drag components.  This reel is much nicer than my personal Penn reels that get washed and put away in a dry place after each use.

I bought this reel intending on putting a SS gear sleeve,  greased HT-100 and SS drag washers in it and using it for what it was built for.  Now I'm going to carefully clean the petrified oil and dirt off it and keep it stock.

Mark Twain

day0ne

Quote from: Keta on December 12, 2011, 06:44:41 AM
Quote from: alantani on December 12, 2011, 06:26:20 AM
the reel was clearly used but shows none of the telltale signs of corrosion.  i wonder if it was used in fresh water only.  

It came out of New Mexico, the discoloration on the outside chrome is a redish dust and oil.   The inside had redish dust in it, not iron oxide.

The whole state of New Mexico is red dust, especialy the northern part
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter