fixing bent spool shaft?

Started by zward, December 12, 2011, 12:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zward

Anybody have any experience fixing/replacing a bent spool shaft?? Normally I'd just buy a new spool but this is a bit of an oddball, Shimano Triton 300.

Thanks a bunch for any help!
Zane

oldsquidder

Well, I have had this problem a few times myself and fortunately I have a small lathe. I chuck one end of the spool shaft into the lathe and then check the spool for runout. With a little bending pressure I have been able to fix this problem quite easily on some of the spools but not all of them.

Jimmer

I've had some luck straightening spool shafts by setting the ends of the shaft in vee blocks and using a dial indicator to find the high spot and then pushing down on that high spot and rechecking for concentricity. another option is to use a piece of close fitting brass tubing over the bent end of the shaft and rolling it to magnify the bend. mark the high spot as close as you can with a sharpie, bend a little and recheck. You may only have 1 or 2 trys to get it straight as the metal probably work hardened a little when it bent the first time and will work harden more with each adjustment. A small press would no doubt be the best way, but I don't have one. A spool this rare might be worth taking to a machine shop. Good Luck! - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Alto Mare

I had some luck tossing a 3- piece spool from Penn in the trash one day, after spending hours of trying to get it straight :-\.

I'm glad that some of you guys have had success  ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

zward

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking the lathe to, just wondering if others have had success, mainly so I could figure out exactly how hopeless it is :'(  We have a machine shop at work and know a buddy that has a lathe, hopefully I can get it on one of those.

Thanks again,
Zane

zward

While I got the spool on the lathe the other day and checked the runout with a dial indicator. Turns out it was bent 20  thousandths of axis.. Marked the max in mins to get the bend plane and direction and with a little coaxing had it under .002. When I got home and put it together she spun like a dream! Thanks again for the help guys its much appreciated!

-Zane

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer