PENN 309M - CLICKER REPAIR

Started by The Pond King, December 12, 2011, 12:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pond King

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this board, and this is my first post. Well here goes. I bought a Penn 309M three years ago based on good reviews. I remember reading in the reel's manual that you needed to turn the clicker off before you engage the reel and start reeling, otherwise it will eventually break - unlike other reels with clickers that just keep clicking until you turn it off. Unfortunately, I didn't turn off the clicker once and I was reeling with the clicker on ..and it broke bc of that. I was wondering how I could repair the reel's clicker and where I could get the parts? Also, can I upgrade to a smoother and more durable clicker that won't break in the event I don't turn it off? I've only used this reel once and never again because of the broken clicker feature. Also, I've noticed that this reel does not cast that far, so is there anything I can do to improve that? Thanks for you time.

TPK

Bryan Young

Without knowing what actually broke or if anything broke, all affected parts are as follows:

35-60, 36N-209, 62-309, 62-209 and 69B-600.  See schematics.  Link below.

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/309m.pdf

It's quite possible that the clicker just spun around jumping the spring.  Open the reel's left side plate to take a look.  Currently, there is no double clicker option unless you custom make one.  I don't think it's worth the time/energy to design and make on for this reel.

Use http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=659.0 as a guide.  The 309 is essentially the same as the 209 except for size, and they share some common parts.

Regarding casting, these are not intended to be casted.  The line guide will limit your casting abilities for this reel.  Ment for trolling or bottom fishing.  If you are casting with it, you could always remove the line guide.  that will help a lot.  Personally, I would use a different reel for casting.  What are you fishing for, what weights are you casting, # test line you are using (assuming mono if you are using a 309), and how far are you interested in casting?  Let us know and it's quite possible we can help you further.

Hope this helps.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastalobsession

I would send it to a person on this board to get cleaned. I currently have a few spots open. But there are lots of other people that can take care of you.

Good luck and full coolers
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Bryan Young

If you are semi-mechanically inclined, try it yourself.  We can assist via here (photos help) or you could always send it to one of use in a bag, which is a more common occurance than you think. 

Also, if you bought the reel new, it probably has carbon fiber drag washers in the gear, but under the gear.  I would recommend replacing that with a carbon fiber one and greasing all drag washers with Cal's Universal and Drag Grease.  If you fish are not peeling tons of line off the reel, you can also use Shimano drag grease which may be more readily available.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I don't realy like working on Penn 9, 209 or 309 reels but for many years they have been the most common reel I work on.

Take your reel apart and look at the left side plate, I've never seen a broken clicker but I've seen worn out ones and a few like Bryan mentioned.

As for your casting problems,
#1 Do you have a small amount of side to side play in your spool, not too much but a bit is needed.  Adjust this with the bearing in the left side plate.
#2 Is there a burr or grease in the bore of the pinion gear?
#3 Is the LW worm durty or greasy?

If you get in trouble help is right here.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

The Pond King

To everyone,

I am surprised by the amount of replies I got back in a short period of time. Big thanks, I appreciate it a lot. This board is awesome!

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 12, 2011, 12:58:35 PM
Regarding casting, these are not intended to be casted.  The line guide will limit your casting abilities for this reel.  Ment for trolling or bottom fishing.  If you are casting with it, you could always remove the line guide.  that will help a lot.  Personally, I would use a different reel for casting.  What are you fishing for, what weights are you casting, # test line you are using (assuming mono if you are using a 309), and how far are you interested in casting?  Let us know and it's quite possible we can help you further.

I bought this reel with the intention to use it off of piers, I guess its more suited for boat. The weights that I am casting can be anywhere from 5-8 ounces, and I bought a 7ft MH Ugly Stick tiger to go with it when I first got the reel. I have it spooled with 40lb mono. I don't need to cast that far, just away from the pier's pilings which it does, but I'd be nice to cast it a bit further.

Quote from: Keta on December 12, 2011, 02:59:56 PM
As for your casting problems,
#1 Do you have a small amount of side to side play in your spool, not too much but a bit is needed.  Adjust this with the bearing in the left side plate.
#2 Is there a burr or grease in the bore of the pinion gear?
#3 Is the LW worm durty or greasy?

#1 I usually have the spool brake set as loose as I can, but even still casting is limited.
#2 I have never taken it apart, so I don't know.
#3 Again, I'd have to take it apart.

akfish

I service at least fifty 309s every season. Many do need clicker repairs. Most often this is because there was no grease on the click spring and click tongue which lead to rust. If your reel is a newer model, fixing the clicker is very easy and requires only a clicker tongue and/or a clicker spring. Both can be obtained from mysticparts.com for less that $5 for both parts. As for casting distance: The 309 is not meant to be cast but does OK for a level wind reel with no ball bearings. As others have said, make sure there is a tiny bit of side to side slop on the spool; adjust the left side spool bushing to make this the case. Also shoot some oil in both spool bushings. It is also important that the level wind worm have a bit of side to side slop. Back off on the worm bushing (the knurled knob on the handle side) to make this the case and thus reduce the amount of casting distance lost by the level wind. Finally, if there was rust or corrosion on the clicker, you may have some rust under the idler gear (the plastic gear in the left side plate) which slows down the worm and reduces casting distance.

The worse case scenario is a warped spool. If your spool is black anodized aluminum the chance of this is very slim. But if it is steel or chromed brass and the mono line is packed tightly, your spool may be out of round. This is an expensive problem...

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

They're rust magnet. Then again how much can you expect for $50 to $60 reel :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.