Quality at any age!

Started by Reeltyme, July 11, 2020, 06:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

Ladies and gents, I guess it's true that the "shiny, smooth running, light weight" new reels that cost your favorite casting arm and maybe your first born as well to buy, have a certain allure to them, even though I firmly believe they are a great 5 year investment. For me, I go for the old, heavy, well built, lifetime reels. Below you will find the bail of a certain reel. You will notice that the end of the bail where the line rides on a roller, is accompanied by a ball bearing! Now, you have to admit that this speaks QUALITY! This is attached to a reel that is 20 to 30 years old. The reel runs like it was made yesterday. I can't believe that the shiny new reels will still be around after my estimated 5 - 10 year lifespan. I am quite sure, barring any unforeseen misfortune, that this reel will outlast me. To all the "newbies" out there, save your first born and purchase a good quality "old" reel. You'll have to guess the reel this came off of!

philaroman

1. 20-30 y.o. is not "old" -- it's "older" or "old modern"
2. which is it -- 20, or 30?  ...as big BB line rollers go (esp., in "affordable" models)
    30 yrs. ago would be most impressive -- 20, not so much

Reeltyme

Doing some research. Got an email out to the manufacturer to nail down the production date. I have worked on literally thousands of reels. I truly enjoy working on them. I have worked on high end and low end and everything in between. The vast majority of my work has been on saltwater reels. This feature is not common. I am not saying it doesn't exist, just that it's not common. For a reel of the age that this is from, is very rare. As soon as I nail down an age with the help of the manufacturer, I will post it. Thanks for reading.

Gfish

Haven't seen one like it. How bout a hint, like say; country of the company's origin?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reeltyme

U.S. manufacturer. Not Penn, (a great company I might add).

Cuttyhunker

Well I know you have a Fin Nor soft spot............
Doomed from childhood

Reeltyme

Cutty, you cheat! Your not eligible!

Donnyboat

I say finnor reel, haa ha haaaaa, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Reeltyme

Congratulations Don!!! You are correct! A Fin-Nor Ahab early model size 16. And as the winner of this guessing game, you have won a free, 1 year subscription to the "Alan Tani" website!
Cutty, you get nothin. (Hope your catching the big boys up there).

Cuttyhunker

SIGH......................
Doomed from childhood

nomdeplume57

Quote from: Reeltyme on July 12, 2020, 11:09:41 AM
U.S. manufacturer. Not Penn, (a great company I might add).

Quote from: Reeltyme on July 13, 2020, 11:13:41 AM
Congratulations Don!!! You are correct! A Fin-Nor Ahab early model size 16. And as the winner of this guessing game, you have won a free, 1 year subscription to the "Alan Tani" website!
Cutty, you get nothin. (Hope your catching the big boys up there).

Always thought FIN-NOR's were made in Sweden. Glad to know they are American and not  a Division of ZEBCO.

Donnyboat

Thanks Randy, the prize means the world to me, hard to catch the big boys up there, when you live down under, ay, middle of winter here now, about a month, since I`ve had the boat in the water, had a great day on Saturday, but I was committed to help a mate prune, wine grape, & I dont even drink wine, stay safe everyone, keep well cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat