Pinion Gear Removal Main Shaft ?

Started by Reelamin, December 13, 2011, 05:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reelamin

Hello All,  Super glad I found this site.  I have to start doing my own reel repair from a time standpoint.  I can not afford to have my reels out of service for month.  I am working on my first reel.  I searched this and was unable to find the answer. 
I have a Shimano Sahara 2500 with a bent main shaft.  The Pinion gear looks good, but I do not know what way to remove it.  Does it slide off the back, or does it have to go off the front?  I don't want to damage it if I can avoid it.  Just looking for help before I start putting any pressure or trying to straighten the bent main shaft.
Any help would be appreciated.

alantani

spinner guys, can anyone help this guy out?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

The Main shaft should be held in with a screw at the end at Oscillating Gear.
Remove the screw and shaft should slide out the top (Spool end)..

http://www.reelschematic.com/schematics/Shimano/Sahara/SAHARA%20SH2500FB%282004%29.pdf

First Schematic I found.  Shimano site should have one also....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Reelamin

Nessie.   Yes...I have the main shaft and pinion gear removed together.  Pinion gear will not slide towards the front (spool end) due to the bend.  I tried to slide it off the back (anchor screw end) but it did not move.  I have not put much pressure (slightly with hands only) to get it to slide.  The pinion must have some way to attach or spin the main shaft.  As the back of the main shaft is flat and the front is round I am thinking the pinion gear goes on and off one diretion.

Nessie Hunter

The main gear turns the Oscillating Gear that causes Main shaft to go up & down through pinion gear.  This raises & lowers Spool to wind the line on level...
But the flare at screw end will only allow the pinion to come off the other end...

You will probably have to work on the shaft (or cut it) & get it straight enough for the Pinion to slide off.
It is probably toast any way, will never be perfect & slide through pinion without rubbing.

Recommend you order a new shaft from Shimano..
Save you a lot of headaches & defeats...
877-577-0600   Shimano Parts.....
# RD 9035????  Main Shaft ?????? .....

Best would be go to Shimano web site and look up schematic for exact model. 
Not sure I trust the one I posted?????   FYI....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

I'm with Nessie. I would try to cut the shaft and get a new one, you'll never get it perfect again. Also, if you force the shaft through the pinion you might domage it. How did the shaft bent? was it on a nice size fish?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reelamin

Nessie, Alto,  Thanks for the help.  I really do appreciate the ideas.   I did not explain my problem very well...trust me my wife says I am a terrible communicator!  LOL  I used to just send my reels off for service and repair.  I have a spare for each type...and now I am down two in one week.  So time to start learning how to fix my own out of time savings and to avoid needing more spare reels sitting around. 

The main shaft is toast for sure.  I would never try to re-use it, but I was hoping to save the pinion gear as it is worn to the others.  During assembly the main shaft has to be inserted into the pinion gear from one direction or the other.  I was not sure if it mattered the direction or not. I did not want to force it the wrong direction and damage the pinion gear.  If the pinion gear has a perfect hole the entire length then it would not matter what direction it was removed.  If it has a taper, ledge, or flat inside portion it would jam like crazy if I went the wrong direction. 

BIG FISH????   Dang it no...all rods reels set up the night before trip.  All working perfectly.  Hour 7 of the day...client says..."I think this reel has something wrong with it".  LOL...oh it deffinately had something wrong with it then.   I have no idea what happened or how it happened.  I don't think anything was done on purpose...just one of those things that happens in the business.

Reelamin

ANSWER FOUND!!   I just wanted to post this up in case someone else needed it.  According to Shimano Customer Service...there is no specific direction the pinion gear needs to go on or off the main shaft.  They just said to straighten the main shaft as much as possible, and remove the pinion gear... "it will probably take some extra force to get it to move because of the bent main shaft". 

Alto Mare

Nice of Shimano to give you the answer, But be aware that you could still domage the inside of the pinion. If it feels too tight, don't force it. You might need to cut the shaft :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reelamin

Well it took over a month to get the parts but they arrived.   I was told by the parts supplier to replace all the gears as they wear together.  Makes sense...but this is just a fishing reel.....not my vehicle transmission.   Anyway, the pinion gear slid off the main shaft after I straightened it a little, and will slide on and any direction with a straight main shaft (new).  Took a little pressure, but it came off with just my fingers no tools needed.   I replaced the main shaft only....put it back together with the old gears even though they were not on the exact same tooth....and it works and sounds great.

Just wanted to post it up in case someone in the future found it or needed the same info.

JGB

Glad it is working out for you. Ever wonder why after servicing a spinner that sometimes the gears just don't feel right. Well when they say to change both gears as they are worn together they mean that the each tooth has shaped it's self to the mating teeth. Reel Speed gave me a great tip on how to preserve the gear 'feel' when servicing a spinner. You simply mark the pinon and the main gear before removal so you can match up the gear teeth during reassembly. This makes a lot of sense and could possible be applicable to  conventional reels also. It sure beats the old days when we would lap the gear sets with toothpaste to smooth them out. If you must replace a gear replace the gears as a set.

Jim N.

Nessie Hunter

???? Not sure that makes sense to my old fried brain???

If the ratio was 1:1 it would, - but with Ratio's as they are the teeth would mesh with a Diff tooth each revolution ~ Pinion to Main gear...
sharp cut (new) to worn (used), may take a few turns to even out & break in (wear)..  But?????

Am I way out of tune here???? 
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Irish Jigger

I am inclined to go with JGB. Imagine a 3:1 ratio. Pinion turns 3 times for every turn of main gear. Starts and finishes at same tooth on main gear after each full revolution of main gear. If there is a "nick" in pinion there are three "nicks" in main gear. I'm getting confused myself now :-\

redsetta

Hope I'm not flogging a dead horse here, but round numbers (ie 3:1, 5:1 etc) will always bring the marks back together after one full revolution of the main gear.
Fractions (ie 3.25:1) will too, eventually - but only after, in this instance, four revolutions of the main gear.
Not sure where that leaves us re: marking the gears though.  ;)
Righto, Justin 
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer