Penn 712z Bail not locking

Started by Brandon G, July 18, 2020, 04:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Hello ~

I'm completely lost....
I just replaced the spring in rotor for the locking mechanism on my 712z and now it wont lock at all.
I must have not installed it correctly, but I'm having a hard time finding any information about this specific spot.
Second chance tackle doesn't go over it, unless I skimmed past it (maybe?!)

I hope these pictures help a little. I also hope I explained myself clearly... I have troubles with that! haha
Tight Lines :)

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

How's your P/N 30-704 bail release spring doing?
-steve

Brandon G

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 18, 2020, 04:34:32 AM
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30564.0         lever   may be upside down
Looking at the pictures I believe I may have it in upside down. To be fair though... it pops out pretty quick when loosened haha

Quote from: oc1 on July 18, 2020, 06:30:04 AM
How's your P/N 30-704 bail release spring doing?
-steve
Well, that is the spring I replaced. The "old" one looks completely fine, so I'm starting to think there is another issue here.  ??? :'(

Brandon G

So, I did have the Part No. 28-712 backwards.... After a few frustrating minutes I got it snapping shut. Should do fine at the beach tomorrow

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Brandon G

Just an update -

Went to the beach, lots of juvenile hatchery chinook.
My friend was catching them left and right, he was cranking it in, and no matter how fast I reeled in, I wasn't getting the attention he was... had lots of fun though.

Mystic doesn't list the line retrieve for the 712z, I'm wondering if the 704z, 706z, or even 710z will have a better retrieve due to bigger spool... Would it have a noticeable affect?