Favorite Casting LURE for Salmon in the PNW

Started by Brandon G, July 21, 2020, 03:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

What is your favorite casting lure for salmon in the PNW?
Tight Lines :)

Gobi King

PNW??
pacific north...

fish don't care  where they are,
what water body are you fishing?

fishing is depth and speed, salmon is a game fish,

keep local regs in mind, min MI most streams don't let you use trebles or weighted stuff

Large bodies of water, figure out where the salmon is and how you will get the lure down to the salmon (45 ft to 80 ft)

During the run in the river (deep vs shallow)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Hardy Boy

It really depends:

Rivers : Kitamat and Coho spoons, Bluefox vibrex spinners are a good choice and come in a range of sizes and weights depending on conditions. I've caught lots of salmon and steelhead on all three.

Ocean: its hard to beat Buzz bombs and spinnows. Both come in many lengths and weights and can be fished shallow or down deep. Folks are catching springs, coho and pink salmon right now from the docks here on these as we speak. I also have caught Jacks, skipjacks and sierras in Mexico on these.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

My favorite is a Lefty Deceiver, although I don't get to do that as much as I always wanted to. I have always had luck with Point Wilson darts.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brandon G

Quote from: Gobi King on July 21, 2020, 01:18:14 PM
PNW??
pacific north...

fish don't care  where they are,
what water body are you fishing?

fishing is depth and speed, salmon is a game fish,

keep local regs in mind, min MI most streams don't let you use trebles or weighted stuff

Large bodies of water, figure out where the salmon is and how you will get the lure down to the salmon (45 ft to 80 ft)

During the run in the river (deep vs shallow)

I wish I had a boat to get to 45' - 80ft'. I'm stuck on the beach.
I normally throw weighted spoons and buzzbombs, blue foxes and the like, but I was hoping for a killer lure.
In WA state, you have to use single point, barbless hooks when fishing for salmon, no matter the salt water or fresh, it sucks only because you have to redo every lure you buy for the most part.

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 21, 2020, 07:41:07 PM
My favorite is a Lefty Deceiver, although I don't get to do that as much as I always wanted to. I have always had luck with Point Wilson darts.
The Man
I just read about these lures! I was gonna try one out!

Quote from: Hardy Boy on July 21, 2020, 03:45:34 PM
It really depends:

Rivers : Kitamat and Coho spoons, Bluefox vibrex spinners are a good choice and come in a range of sizes and weights depending on conditions. I've caught lots of salmon and steelhead on all three.

Ocean: its hard to beat Buzz bombs and spinnows. Both come in many lengths and weights and can be fished shallow or down deep. Folks are catching springs, coho and pink salmon right now from the docks here on these as we speak. I also have caught Jacks, skipjacks and sierras in Mexico on these.

Cheers:

Todd
What size bluefox do you think is the best for coho off the beach? I have a size 5 that seems too big so I put a smaller hook on it, size 2 are so light I have trouble trying to cast them out far.
Also, I'm using a mono, do I tie a leader on, or go mainline on bluefoxes?

---I wish my Dad fished beaches and crap, he only fishes rivers 1-2 times a year if that, so I'm usually on my own with fishing and learning about fishing. Hence the questions.. haha

Hardy Boy

we used size 4 a lot. What ever weight you need to get out there. There is a company here in BC that is making smaller heavy spinners that I used with a buddy and they were great but I forget what they are called. I just tie to the mono. You could try adding a split shot or two above the spinner  a foot or so for more distance. I used the spinners in rivers from shore the buzz bombs and spoons are best. The coho spoons are heavy for their size and cast well. we used 55 and 65 a lot.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

Where are you located, specifically?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brandon G

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 22, 2020, 06:23:12 AM
Where are you located, specifically?
The Man
I'm in Port Orchard, WA, but I travel to fish sometimes. My beaches are hot in spots, but its hard to get the big ones on the hook.
Heck, I'm pulling sculpins out of the water nonstop, while my cousin is pulling juvenile chinook(and releasing safely and as quickly as possible).
I'm gonna get some attractant that is herring or sand shrimp scented next time I go to the store.
Maybe they will have some blue foxes too because everywhere online is sold out..  :-\

Ron Jones

Cool,
I'm up on the Olympic Peninsula. If you're willing to travel, you might try the coast, plenty of river systems with fish.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Gfish

In the faster water sections of rivers, a spin-n-glow tailing out behind pencil lead(adjusted for current speed and depth so you're always getting a good "bounce") without, or with, roe. In deeper slower waters, especially river mouths, a Blue Fox spoon. In the ocean?, whatever someone tells me to use.

Here's a Blue Fox "Rattlin' Pixee"(yeah, there's a built in rattle) that Gstours-Garry "the butt man" sent me from Alaska. I added tail fur and doll eyes. Gary does the fur and feathers thing with many of his creations. I'mina fish this over the local reefs till I lose it or it corrodes beyond redemption. A nice, long-casting/accurate/fast sinking spoon. Prolly cost prohibitive if you snag-up too often.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelhead_killer

Blue Fox in chart and hot pink.  Take the treble off and replace with a siwash.  We then but a plastic skirt on the hook.  Good for silvers and the occasional steelhead.  But most places require a floating lure...so no no to the spinners and spoons for salmon in the rivers anyways...unless you are on tribal waters.
><)))">

Brandon G

Quote from: steelhead_killer on July 23, 2020, 09:49:38 PM
Blue Fox in chart and hot pink.  Take the treble off and replace with a siwash.  We then but a plastic skirt on the hook.  Good for silvers and the occasional steelhead.  But most places require a floating lure...so no no to the spinners and spoons for salmon in the rivers anyways...unless you are on tribal waters.
Do Coho bite on pink as much as pinks do? Just curious.. haha

I have seen selective rules for the rivers I go to, but nothing about floating lures only... I am gonna dissect the regulations before I go next. I'd hate to be breaking the law...

Ron Jones

Floating lure is new to me. I know it isn't the case for the Big Quilcene or the Elwha.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Catching Nemo

Beach fishing in Puget Sound, I like buzz bombs in small sizes 2.5 inch. Pink pearl or blue pearl for coho.  Hot pink for humpies when they are in.

In rivers, specifically the Duwi and Green, blue fox spinners.  Hot orange seems to work best for me for coho (size 3).  The bite window is also very short for me, usually a 30 minute window around dawn for coho when they bite like crazy, and then other times outside of that window they ignore everything I throw at them.

Catching Nemo

Quote from: Brandon G on July 21, 2020, 09:07:18 PM
[...
In WA state, you have to use single point, barbless hooks when fishing for salmon, no matter the salt water or fresh, it sucks only because you have to redo every lure you buy for the most part.

Not quite true for freshwater.  For example, the green, snohomish, skykomish and lots of other rivers allow you to use a barbed single point hook (and no trebles) for salmon.