Calcutta 400 TE Conversion

Started by EugeneB, July 22, 2020, 04:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EugeneB

Hi,

I am looking to remove the level-wind and perhaps replace drag washers on my TE400 to use it for surf casting/fishing on a light 10.6 foot rod.

Perhaps some background ... I bought the reel new, I  guess, 10 years ago and used it maybe 5 times for barramundi fishing in creeks in the north of australia.  I havn't used the reel since then.  The fishing bug has bitten me again and I have a trip in 8 weeks to Fraser island in australia targeting tailor.

I grew up in Namibia and South Africa doing land-based fishing with large surf rods and overhead reels (lol Penn 49 and penn 500/jigmaster).  I like the overheads (without level winds).  I have other larger surf rods and reels e.g. Daiwa saltist 30 and 40, but thought the 400 TE is of no use to me at the moment and that it might make a nice "light" casting rig targeting tailor.

Would appreciate any advice, suggestions, pro's/cons, is it difficult to remove the level-wind, etc.

Cheers,
Eugene

Ron Jones

I did this to my baby Diwa millionaire-x, which is basically your reels competition. It spins forever, I did need to find some shims to take up space for the level wind gears but I think on yours you can leave them in. CF drags should not be an issue.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

I did it to a Calcutta 100.  There are holes where the worm used to go into the side plates.  I call them drainage holes for surf fishing so they do not have to be dealt with. 

I don't really mind fishing with a stock Calcutta though.  There are a couple of Calcutta 50s that I use.  It's a disengaging levelwind so it does not slow it down that much.

-steve

EugeneB

Thanks, appreciate the comments

nelz

Quote from: EugeneB on July 22, 2020, 04:00:04 AMPerhaps some background ... I bought the reel new, I  guess, 10 years ago and used it maybe 5 times for barramundi fishing in creeks in the north of australia.  I havn't used the reel since then.

Heck, you need to sell that reel, not mangle it! Sounds like it's in near new condition and should fetch a premium price, they are very sought after. Then use the money to get a nice small overhead reel that doesn't have level wind, and have $$ left over.  ;D

Newell Nut

Sell it and get a nice Newell 229. Cast wonderful and stronger drags and built for salt water. I had a 400TE that I used salmon fishing in Alaska. Great reel but the Newell 229 would be a big upgrade.

Dwight

Rancanfish

Eugene,  I have to agree with the advice here.  I would sell it since you have some time.  A 229 would be good.  A Penn 525mag would be my choice.  You can still get a good deal on either if you are looking.  And then you will have some beer money left from the sale of your Shimano.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

EugeneB

Hi,

Thanks for the comments ... appreciated.

After some reading and the input/advice I received, I decided to keep the reel standard and purchase something that suits.

Thanks & regards,
Eugene

ps:  Never knew it was such a sought after little reel ... would be a shame to "mangle" a practically new reel.

MarkT

I still have a 300 TE and it's a real nice reel.  I wouldn't go removing the levelwind from the 400 so good call on keeping it factory.  A GS 525 mag is great, I have one.  A Squall 15 is the current version.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

EugeneB

Awesome, thanks

Quote from: MarkT on July 22, 2020, 10:56:10 PM
I still have a 300 TE and it's a real nice reel.  I wouldn't go removing the levelwind from the 400 so good call on keeping it factory.  A GS 525 mag is great, I have one.  A Squall 15 is the current version.

EugeneB

Just bought a Penn Fathom II 15 star drag ... hope this does the trick.

Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers
Eugene

nelz

Quote from: EugeneB on July 23, 2020, 12:41:45 AMJust bought a Penn Fathom II 15 star drag ... hope this does the trick.

Good choice!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: EugeneB on July 23, 2020, 12:41:45 AM
Just bought a Penn Fathom II 15 star drag ... hope this does the trick.

Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers
Eugene

The fathom 15 was going to be my suggestion. In my opinion stronger than the newel as far as the frame goes and a better handle

nelz

I believe it has magnetic cast control as well.