My first southern bluefin

Started by redsetta, July 28, 2020, 04:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Had a very last-minute opportunity to chase some southern bluefin over the weekend.
They went from prolific in New Zealand waters in the 1970s to critically endangered by the late 1980s due to rapacious overfishing by international fleets outside our economic zone.
As a result, they've been an exceedingly rare catch for most kiwi fishos for most of my lifetime.
It's been great to see the population begin a long, slow recovery in recent years.
This was the first time I had a chance to chase them, along with a bunch of other hardy trailerboat gamefishos, off the East Cape of our North Island.
Saw some terrific fish landed over the cold, midwinter weekend, to a max of around 120kg (265lb).
This certainly wasn't a giant, but I'm deeply grateful that the gods smiled and let me get one to the boat.
Big thanks to Carl (The Provider) and Ants - legends.
Cheers, Justin

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Vintage Offshore Tackle

redsetta

Thanks Randy - felt pretty lucky!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I'm sure that everyone would love to hear how it happened.

Alto Mare

Oh wow Justin!...nice Tuna!
Congratulations my friend!
Look at that smile ...love it!

Enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Thanks Sal - a day etched in the memories for sure.

Happy to tell a bit more of the story Randy, if it'd be of interest - will do so tomorrow.

Cheers lads

jurelometer

Sharkb8

Well done Justin it my goal to get one this season.

Kim

redsetta

Good luck Kim - will look forward to the report!
Cheers, Justin

Cor

Well done, must have been good fun.

Sadly those fish have become completely extinct in Cape Town to the point where maybe one is caught every 5 years at a guess and our Yellowfin are quickly going that way as well.
Cornelis

mhc

Great fish to open your SBT account with!

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

Oooooo! Sashimi 8) Well done justin :)

Donnyboat

Good catch Justin, love that smile, you must be a good guy, even the fish looks like its smiling, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Nice fish! Looks like that J hook was right in the corner, perfect spot. Heck of a job, those are tough buggers!
Also good to see that a fishery can rebound if managed properly.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Great work mate! yes, full story please !