Garcia/Diawa ?

Started by AllenW, December 15, 2011, 03:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenW

Hopefully ok to post 2 questions on one thread.

I have 2 Garcia 6500C reels bought back in the early 80's and am trying to strip them down and do a complete maintance/overhaul  on them.
The tutorial for a 6500C here looks different than my reels, mine actually look closer to the 5500C tutorial.
Under the reel seat it says 84-2  86 if that helps.
I have the reel partically apart already in the garage so I hate to move it so I'm doing this on memory as the color ink in my printer just ran out..:)

Also is there a tutorial on the Diawa sealine SG27LCA?
I can't seem to find on even with the search feature.

TIA

Al

alantani

the abu's are all very similar.  the graphite sealines likewise.  if you can do one, you can do them all.  go for it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AllenW

Thanks, between all that's here, and taking a bunch of pictures I should be ok then..that and I have all winter too helps..:)

Al

wallacewt

hi allenw little tip that may help.dont use a power screw driver.leave that for the experts.hand pressure is best.some reels use loctite.been there,done that.all the best

AllenW

Good tip, after years of working on HVAC/appliances that had stripped out screws because of power screwdrivers I learnt to at least assemble by hand.

Having the correct tip also makes a big difference.

Thanks.

Al

Norcal Pescador

It makes a HUGE difference. For slotted screws I recommend a set of gunsmith's screwdrivers for the ones you really care about. Yeah, power screwdrivers can wreck things really fast. :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

AllenW

Gunsmiths kit is nice, I have several that I use for only for the little gun-smithing I do.

Alan you said the 6500's were similar, but these I have have a few differences, I'm assuming that when you reference removing some parts and they are not on the models I have to just disregard?

Posted a few pictures to show the difference, you have probably seem this but just in case..:)

Also shown is the two drag washers SmoothDrag sent, be nice to include whether you need both or not, especially for us old newbies..:)
TIA....again. :)

Al

Nessie Hunter

That extra Drag Washer goes under the main gear..

Looks like the old one may be stuck to bottom of the Main Gear???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!