Sticky Line Counter Maintenance

Started by Recoil Rob, August 14, 2020, 02:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

I have a couple of old Okuma Magpro's with line counters. One of the counters is a bit sticky, sometimes resets, sometimes takes a few times.
They are one piece affairs, no serviceable parts inside and new ones are almost half the cost of a new reel. I was thinking perhaps just spraying them with thin lube, maybe Boeshield or even a silicone oil.

Anyone ever try this?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

redsetta

I did one of those recently and it also had a sticky counter.
The line-counter housing (half of which is part of the side plate) has three screws that allow access to the counter mechanism.
While the mechanism (ie number barrels and cogs) can't be broken down further, it just took a series of sprays with a 556-type penetrating lubricant and consistent working of the number barrels (and zeroing button) to free it up nicely.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Recoil Rob

Thanks mate, will do. I have 6-56 which is the marine version apparently, I'll have to see if it's plastic safe.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

alantani

i tried corrosion x.  the result were inconsistent.  i tried the thinner tsi 321.  better, but still inconsistent.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

Tru using the Paslode tool cleaner Sal (and I ) use to clean it out.  Then use De-oxit Fader lube for electronics.  Let it dry a couple of minutes.  I bet it works.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.