Topshots - are they really necessary?

Started by TonyFriend, December 16, 2011, 03:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyFriend

I have always rigged my trolling reels with PowerPro braid (Hi-Vis Yellow) and then with 40 to 80 yards of mono topshot (followed by a 20' wind-on leader of 80lb Fluoro). I mainly fish for Dorado (Mahi Mahi) and Tuna (Yellowfin and Albacore). It's rare for one of these tuna to be over 100lb in the area I fish.

My question is: Is the topshot really necessary, or can I just run PowerPro to within 20 feet of the lure then have the 20' wind-on leader of 80lb Fluoro.

Other than acting as a shock absorber, what is the function of the topshot? How necessary is that shock absorber when fishing for Tuna and Dorado?

Dominick

That's the way I fish.  Main line flouro carbon leader.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sinkerswim

Is the species you seek line shy? Tuna, for example, are known to have better eyesight. Braid isn't exactly invisible. Now, the burning question is how much topshot? Beyond my level of expertise. When we troll striped bass on wireline reels we use about 60 -80'. Just how I was taught. That is mostly for stretch, as we all know the wire dosen't have any give. But, trolling is my least favorite method. However, it can produce on the slower days.

Normslanding

As you seem to troll most of the time a direct tie is fine. I would suggest using one size larger Spectra than your Fluoro, or mono. Basically Spectra has a 74%+/_ knot strength. So 80lb. Fluoro attached to 100 or 130lb. Spectra will approximate a 100% connection. Even a double Uni knot will work, but something like a well tied Albright would be better. The Albright goes thru the guides better. Many other conditions would require different stuff.

Keta

When trolling I don't see the need for Fluro and like to keep the Spectra on the reel to avoid wind caused tangles, 100' topshots on my trolling rods.

When not trolling I prefer to fish with 10' wind-on topshots attached directly to my HOLLOW Spectra "backing" for everything above 40lb and sell a lot of 15' 25lb-30lb Fluro topshots for live bait, iron and swimbait fishing.  My preferred trolling topshots are 100' of Big Game Solar Collector mono.

I like to drop back in rod power when using supper short topshots and my rod is the buffer.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ifish42na

Mono trolling topshots provide considerable shock absorption between the rod and the fish, especially on larger fish and a bigger boat. Also, consider the cost aspect. If you tangle lines, snag something in the water or somehow get cut off, generally you only lose cheap mono, not expensive spectra.

REK

I don't think spectra is all that great with shock. So my trolling reels have mono from the lure to some wraps onto the spool. Bait fish, I fish short topshots.

wallacewt

are they really necessary?
correct answer is yes and no.
there are so many different scenarios.
mostly i use one and half times the rod length.mono or fluoro topshot and no stiff rods
bit dangerous hanging onto braid and a struggling fish

TonyFriend

Thanks to all people who have commented. It seems that the real answer is "it depends". I think I'll try all Spectra with a 20 foot wind-on leader (fluoro) to the snap swivel and a short, 3 foot fluoro leader from the snap swivel to the bait or lure. I'm hoping that fish don't notice anything that is over 20 feet from its intended prey, and that the fluoro is really as invisible in water as its price suggests.    :)

I'm also hoping that I don't hook into something that really needs a shock absorber. Although I like to fish with relatively soft rods, there is only so much the rod can do to take out the shock, and if the shock hits as you are winding down on the fish, the rod isn't going to absorb much of anything as it is more or less pointing at the fish at that stage.

However, the short fluoro rig will give me a rig that is good for bottom bashing, trolling and live baiting, which makes it very versatile. Let's see.

I have decided I don't want to fight any more marlin, for a variety of personal reasons, so that really eliminates the worst of the shock makers. Tuna don't make too much shock, and while Dorado (Mahi Mahi) can dish out a fancy dance, the actual load is usually not too bad.

Bryan Young

Previously, spectra did not have a waxy or plastic coating, making them extremely susceptible to abrasions, including abrasions to from a swivel or hook.  They may look smooth to the eye, but place them under a microscope, you will see that they are not as smooth as they look.  And when contacting the micro fibers of spectra, they will cut them.  Many lost a lot of lures in the beginning if they didn't retie often.   Top shot eliminated that issue.  Also, the new spectras don't seem to have as much issues as they are now coated.  In fact, Shimano now recomends that the waxwing lures are tied directly to the spectra.  I would still retie periodically if you choose to do this.

Top shots were also used as fisherman believed that the fish could see the line and not bite.   I don't know if fish really know what fishing line looks like and really thought about that bait on the end of a line.  That's a debatable issue that I will not address here.

One thing that was discovered was that short top-shots were out fishing long top-shots when live bating.   By observations from a number of fishermen, the shot top-shot allowed the live bait to swim more freely and naturally, and got bit more often.

You mentioned using a swivel for bottom bashing, trolling and live baiting.   If you are live baiting (free lining), I would eliminate the swivel to allow the bait fish to swim more freely.  Swivels, seem to change how the fish swims.

Good luck and happy fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D