Studio Ocean Mark kit for stella sw

Started by hafnor, December 16, 2011, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

got my Shimano stella 8000PG SW from a forum member on another fishing forum, except this was no ordinary stella.

The stella came with a complete set of custom parts by studio ocean mark rigged with the reel. i really don't know if this is posted here but I will give it a go.

why "SOM kit" you may ask.
well, first of all for bling, it sure looks amazing! another thing is that the 16000 no limits spool has more line capacity, wich was important for me. Lets take a look.

this is what's in the kit. a No limits 16000 spool, a spoolband, handle with knob and sidecap.

the spool. The spool gives you roughly 20% more capasity

let's take a look inside the spool.

remove the spools retainer, and out falls the Cf washers and metal washer

bearing!

remove the shields, and pack the bearings

and shields back on

I thinned out the yamaha multi purpose grease with some shimano ligth oil ( may be used in cold weather)

there is another bearing in the bottom of the spool, lets run it through same process as before

note: The drag washers were installed dry so when I get some cals I will grease them and remove excess.

Handle, is a bit longer than the original stella handle. About 8mm longer and has a ball handle equiped with hypalon or Eva (can not tell the difference...?)

reel with complete SOM kit

The reel will be used for halibut fishing in Norway in the summertime primarily, and will be pared with a Smith WGJ rod.

Enjoy!

conchydong

That sure is nice. I'll bet that just the spool and handle cost more than my first car. The reel upgrades coming out of Japan and the rest of Asia are breathtaking.

hafnor

yepp, over 500 usd... but it sure looks good... Hmm well... What was the price of your first car? :)

conchydong

Quote from: hafnor on December 16, 2011, 10:16:41 PM
yepp, over 500 usd... but it sure looks good... Hmm well... What was the price of your first car? :)

$500.00 was the price of my first car, so I guess it's a push! ;) ;)

Dominick

Hafnor:  What is the "open" "close' on the knob for?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

hafnor

Just to get to the bearings and shaft inside. The shaft is has been "punched" in on the arm side. So the shaft is firm, but the knob and it's bearings can be removed. However it is screwed very tight and I dont want to use any heavy tools as it will rip up that beautiful anodizing. Tried with a coin but no luck...

inhotpursuit

Wow $500 for a mint SOM modified Stella! thats a great deal.Try using a large thin washer and cover it with electricians tape, put a drop of TSI301 or whatever penetrating lube you have and let it sit ,then using i pair of vise grips to hold the covered washer  use steady but gentle pressure to unscrew it,my handles have a rubber o ring on the threads and they sometimes get a little stuck

broadway

Inhotpursuit,

I maybe wrong, but I know Ocean Mark Studios Accessories and what Hafnor is saying is the accessories were $500 USD... those kits ain't cheap, but they look SWEET!
If $500 included the reel... you robbed 'em ;)
Best of luck with "blue beauty",
Dom

inhotpursuit

Ah ok i missread it, thats a relief,thought i missed out on the deal of of the century ;)
Thanks for putting me straight Dom.
Kenny.

hafnor

500$ for the whole deal would have been a steal! both reel and accesories was bnib. I traded the reel to me... May not be a very good trade on my part, but I did not have 1100usd laying around so I went for it... What the heck, one nice reel!

Bryan Young

Wow, I though Stellas were prefect reels. I stand corrected.  It's not a perfect reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D