cutting SS screws

Started by Swami805, August 15, 2020, 04:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I picked up some SS screws to use as bridge screws. They didn't have the right lengths so I'll need to cut them. Is there a good tool for that short of a machine of some kind? I have a dremel and a vice but I'm hoping there might be a better way like the tool for cutting copper pipe. Any ideas?  Thanks!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

I think one of those dremel cut-off bits (abrasive disk) or a hack saw followed by dremel burnishing or mill bastard file is going to be your best bet.  The hard part is securing the screw in a vice without buggering up the threads.
-s

Brewcrafter

It's not elegant, and I have never seen one in a thread size like a bridge screw but many electronics "multi tool" wire crimper/stripper tools also have a series of holes of various thread counts to spin in an electrical screw or stud and then shear it to size.  I would have to guess they are made in smaller sizes as well.  Hopefully when you picked up the screws you picked up some nuts as well; put the nuts on and then Dremel the threads off and when you remove the nut it will hopefully cleanup the threads.  For that matter, if I understand what you are trying to do and since you are using them as bridge screws (and I am assuming the reel is apart) go ahead and mount the bridge plate in the side plate as a "mockup" (minus the gears, drag, etc) and then just cut/grind off the excess end of the screws that is protruding through the bridge plate (and the side plate of the reel will give you something to hold onto). Then disassemble, clean the bejeezus out of everything (metal fragments) and go ahead and assemble the reel, and they should be the perfect size. - john

Tiddlerbasher

If you have the right size nuts and/or a die it's simple. Thread on a couple (or more) of nuts then the die (or just the die if there isn't enough room). Clamp the die/nuts in a vice - using a Dremel with cutting disc - cut to length. Clean-up the end of the screw with a file or Dremel grind stone. Removing the die/nuts will finish off the thread 'cleaning' process. It takes longer to describe the process than it takes to do it ;)

Swami805

Thanks, I have an old bridge I can use and plenty of cut-off wheels, I'll go that route

Rancanfish

I have to second John's suggestion for the stripper crimper with the threaded holes.  Thread it in to the length you want, then squeeze the handle. Done.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

RowdyW

It's going to be VERY difficult to find a stripper/crimper tool with 6-40 threads, if not impossible.        Rudy

Swami805

Yeah finding 6-40 screws wasn't easy

reelrepair123

best bet, cut off wheels with a dremel, then round off rough edges, works great. purchase a tap and die set for the thread size, you'll use it constantly.   harryk

reelrepair123

you can't cut stainless steel with a hacksaw, i don't see a crimping pliers cutting the stainless steel screw. harryk

handi2

Regular electrician wire strippers with the different sized threaded holes is what electricians use to cut their screws. It has 4/40 and 5/40 threaded holes. Even if your screw is different use the closest hole it fits into. When you close the pliers it cuts the screw. Easiest and fastest way to cut small screws that we use.

Keith

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

reelrepair123

talking stainless here.   i could be wrong.  harryk

Cor

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 15, 2020, 08:57:11 AM
If you have the right size nuts and/or a die it's simple. Thread on a couple (or more) of nuts then the die (or just the die if there isn't enough room). Clamp the die/nuts in a vice - using a Dremel with cutting disc - cut to length. Clean-up the end of the screw with a file or Dremel grind stone. Removing the die/nuts will finish off the thread 'cleaning' process. It takes longer to describe the process than it takes to do it ;)
This is the way my Father taught me to cut a bolt and it always works.   Is a bit of a precision job and he had no Dremel, so it was a saw and file!
Cornelis

philaroman

Quote from: handi2 on August 15, 2020, 06:44:19 PM
Regular electrician wire strippers with the different sized threaded holes is what electricians use to cut their screws. It has 4/40 and 5/40 threaded holes. Even if your screw is different use the closest hole it fits into. When you close the pliers it cuts the screw. Easiest and fastest way to cut small screws that we use.

Keith

if you only apply moderate pressure & spin like a pipe-cutter, do you get a cleaner cut?

RowdyW

There are no teeth on it so it will cut like a knife. That's a lot of slicing to get through a ss screw.  ;D