Unique 309M Problem?

Started by Tate, August 17, 2020, 09:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tate

Guys,

I've been working on a 309 recently and having issues.  Now what I finally think I figured out is that this part 66 66-309 LEVEL WIND DRIVE GEAR (METAL) which is attached to the spool non-handle side has too much play up and down and maybe left and right.  If the reel is level it works fine.  If you tilt the reel to the right it starts getting bound up when trying to crank.  Tilt it back level or to the left and it works fine again.  I assume gravity is moving the gear when tilted to the right down and then it doesn't make good contact with the idler gear and causes the problem.   I put a different spool in where the gear has only a little play in it and its working fine.

I also see these parts were changed by Penn without much notice or labeling of the part numbers so you have to measure the dimensions.  I hope its okay to post Mysticparts picture.  I guess in order to fix the old spool I should buy a new level wind drive gear and also measure my other parts (idler gear, worm gear, level wind drive gear) in the reel to ensure they match like the picture.

I don't know what else could cause this unless maybe the other spool is warped?  It looks fine as far as I can tell.

Anyone have a particular micrometer/caliper they like that is reliable?

Thanks,

Tate

Maxed Out

I'd suggest doing process of elimination. First remove worm drive and line guide. See how reel functions. Then remove worm gear so your idler gear will not be turning anything. See how it functions and by then you can narrow down the cause of the problem
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tate

Yes.  I did all of that first.   Same problem.  Tilt reel to right and it starts to bind.   Tilt back to level or left and works fine.   Really odd.  

Replace the spool and everything works perfectly. 

Donnyboat

Hi Tate, maybe it has a little bit of gap there, some were, maybe a shim would take it out, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

day0ne

Quote from: Tate on August 18, 2020, 12:53:02 AM
Yes.  I did all of that first.   Same problem.  Tilt reel to right and it starts to bind.   Tilt back to level or left and works fine.   Really odd.  

Replace the spool and everything works perfectly. 

If you did all that with no change, then the problem isn't in the levelwind. This is usually a centering problem, bad bearing, or binding in the spool.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter