Mag 525

Started by Nirvana, August 23, 2020, 10:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nirvana

I have what I believe is a made in America mag 525. The magnet set up is different than that shown in the excellent tutorial here. My question concerns the gear stud ball bearing 20 A. Mine has no shields and is greased. Need I replace it with a new bearing with shields or just check it more often.  I would also like to know what drag washers can be used for replacement. Smoooth drag does not have a set for this reel. Thanks for a response.

Swami805

I think Mystic reel parts has drag washers. You can leave the bearings open, clean them out with solvent (carb cleaner, naptha or ?) and lube with a very light oil, tsi321 is a good one. Mystic has it as well as cal's drag grease for your drags. One stop shopping!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

I think that bearing normally has shields and should be greased. The ones that should be open and lubed with something like tsi-321 are the 2 spool bearings. There were 2 versions... mine has the round washers not the version 2 washers with the 6 tabs. Both style of washers are still available.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oc1

Quote from: Nirvana on August 23, 2020, 10:37:58 PM
I would also like to know what drag washers can be used for replacement. Smoooth drag does not have a set for this reel.
If you pull out the old washers (or the main gear) you can measure the inside and outside diameter.  Then go to the Smooth Drag site and look at the list of all her washers and their dimensions. 
http://www.smoothdrag.com/Carbontex_washer_sizes_Retail3-2014.pdf
You can probably find that size or at least one that is so close you will be able to make it do or shave it down.
-steve

Rancanfish

I don't know how I ended up with three of these,  but I just think it is a great reel.  Just something about it seems to work for me, and they cast a mile.  The first time I tossed a 4oz rig from shore I was like 'Whoa, that flew out there'.

Mine have the nubbed drags.  Probably more drag than the frame can handle.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.