No Shirt No Shoes No Service

Started by Maxed Out, August 30, 2020, 08:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Shimano 4000GT and 2000GT mooching reels....20+ years and countless hours salmon fishing and far too many salmon killed to even estimate. They just keep on going and never serviced since new. I'll check them in 2040 to see if they need servicing yet #wink #wink
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Very simple internals. Clicker sways both ways and clicks when reeling or line peeling. It isn't super loud like most reels, but still very audible. It does have anti reverse dog and also has freespool lever. I'm guessing maybe 10# of drag, but hold onto the knob and drag is according to how much you hold onto the knob. I like hold on extra long until rod is loaded up, then let go as the reel unloads and knobs spin like spokes on a bicycle. This is where the term "knucklebuster" originates from. It only takes once to learn to get fingers outta the way, but still close enough to grab fast and crank as a line peeler can sometimes turn and swim strait back atcha

Ron Jones

All I know is that it is fun to use tem. Totally new experience.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

whalebreath

Still have my 2000's and have maybe greased them a bit in almost 30 years- no need for anything else.

Hardy Boy

The only thing I ever see go wrong with those other than totally worn drag washers is warped or cracked spools. Take the mono off in the winter, or but some dacron on for cushion and you will be good to go for a long time. I don't know why its mostly here in BC that we use "mooching" reels .......................... even Ron can get the hang of it ! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gobi King

What does the drag washer look like? CF?

I have daiwas which are similar and was half the price.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Hardy Boy

The old ones had the plastic type "Dartamin" (spp). The washer under the spool is canvas. I replace with greased CF drag washers and they will last for ever. Remember we play the fish with very little drag as we "palm" the reel for drag, more fun and you can have as little or much drag as you want instantly.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

I paid $65 each brand new for these shimano's 20+ years ago. The Daiwa's have always been about the same retail price. I own Daiwa's too and have fished side by side with Shimano and I favor the Shimano and keep the Daiwa's as backup's. Daiwa's are made in Korea and use some sub par material. The old shimano's were made in Japan, but nowadays are made in Malaysia. I prefer the older Japan made shimano's.

Daiwa drag knob is not as user friendly as the old Shimano. Also the Daiwa has round knobs that are somewhat uncomfortable, and a flimsy seat that can bend. Shimano has stainless seat.  The Shimano has easy to use drag knob and has paddle type knobs that conform to the fingers much better

philaroman

what's the purpose/importance of the big bracket line guide?
never tried a moocher & have the old daiwa somewhere
guide is BADLY chewed up -- prob. used as a keeper for some serious knife-point barbs
maybe yellow under the chrome... and, as I recall (not reel-in-hand):
Quote from: Maxed Out on August 31, 2020, 03:39:41 PM
...Daiwa's are made in Korea and use some sub par material. The old shimano's were made in Japan, but nowadays are made in Malaysia.
I prefer the older Japan made shimano's. mine is too-heavy-all-metal, JAPAN ...pretty sure it is -- I wouldn't buy early-Korean tackle (except, tobacco glass)

Daiwa drag knob is not as user friendly as the old Shimano. Also the Daiwa has round knobs that are somewhat uncomfortable, and a flimsy seat that can bend.
ditto+ on the drag; maybe, on flat knobs; massive foot/stand IMO -- thought SS, but could be plated brass...  will try a magnet
Shimano has stainless seat.  The Shimano has easy to use drag knob and has paddle type knobs that conform to the fingers much better

Maxed Out

The line guide keeps the line from falling off the spool. That's all its there for. Yes, Daiwa did make all metal versions long time ago. Those were likely made in Japan

Hardy Boy

AHH yes the old Diawa 175 and 275 were aluminum and were made in Japan. I still have one. They are old school as they were not one way drag. Tighten down the drag and the reel is harder to turn also.

Ted: I have to send you some "Canuck" rods so you don't look bad with the trigger sticking up in the air !  ;D .................................. what was the term you used .................. "Wing Nut" ! ::)

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

philaroman

Quote from: Hardy Boy on September 01, 2020, 09:55:13 PM
AHH yes the old Diawa 175 and 275 were aluminum and were made in Japan. I still have one. They are old school as they were not one way drag. Tighten down the drag and the reel is harder to turn also.

so, what -- you palm & [back]reel 'til it hurts at low drag; take the mechanical advantage to rest; rinse & repeat?

have some cool old project Brit/Euro rods for it: 9' 2-pc solid glass Sealey (or, Partridge?) & 3m(10') 3-pc composite Shakes