Upside down

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 03, 2020, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Ok this might be the dumbest question ever asked on here (yet, give me time I'm sure I'll ask dumber stuff)but I truly don't know the answer. Who decided one day that conventional rigs are held with the reel on top and spinners with the reel on bottom? Is there a reason for it or is it a "that's how grandpappy did it so that's how I'll do it!" Kind of situation?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

Can't thumb a spool Or guide the line very well on a conventional reel If it's on the bottom.   Can't hold the line with your finger when casting with a spinner.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Swami805 on September 03, 2020, 02:51:06 PM
Can't thumb a spool Or guide the line very well on a conventional reel If it's on the bottom.   Can't hold the line with your finger when casting with a spinner.
Solid answers. But who decided a right handed person holds the rod in their right hand for a spinner and their left hand for conventional?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 03, 2020, 02:57:29 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on September 03, 2020, 02:51:06 PM
Solid answers. But who decided a right handed person holds the rod in their right hand for a spinner and their left hand for conventional?

Had to be Col. ARSEBACKARDS from Leopoldville Poland back in the 1800's.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Crow

"But who decided a right handed person holds the rod in their right hand for a spinner and their left hand for conventional?"

some right handed guy that couldn't cast with his left hand !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

conventional can't be manipulated easily/effectively on bottom
vice versa for spinners, plus their center of gravity is far from the blank
if I fight something I can't beat, I want it to know it fought me...  like a big fish
gravity doesn't know I exist, no matter how hard I fight it

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 03, 2020, 02:57:29 PM
...But who decided a right handed person holds the rod in their right hand for a spinner and their left hand for conventional?

that's easy: best hand on rod for light tackle / best hand on reel for big game

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 03, 2020, 02:20:32 PM
Ok this might be the dumbest question ever asked on here (yet, give me time I'm sure I'll ask dumber stuff)but I truly don't know the answer. Who decided one day that conventional rigs are held with the reel on top and spinners with the reel on bottom? Is there a reason for it or is it a "that's how grandpappy did it so that's how I'll do it!" Kind of situation?

Don't have a clue about who decided conventionals go on top, probably trial & error, but Alfred Holden Illingworth quickly figured out that fixed spool reels (threadlines as they are often called) are more efficient under the rod than on top. He is generally credited with marketing the first fixed spool reel in 1905, the Illingworth #1. ....................

In 1907 the second version came out with Patent 9338 1905 & oil me please. He made the prototype sometime in 1903 for the sole purpose of casting light lures on light line. The reel had numerous revisions from 1910 through 1937...............

The 1910 version has a similar design to the open face spinners of today, but with open gearing.  ..................

The 1933 version has enclosed gearing....................

You can view a few of the various revisions and models here.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tiddlerbasher

Depending on an individual's 'perception' of a fixed spool reel Malloch may have been the first patented reel:

Brass fixed spool reel

Peter Malloch, a fishing tackle dealer from Perth patented the first brass fixed spool spinning reel in 1884. Using a swivel foot principle, a conventional centrepin or rotating drum reel could be turned on a 90-degree axis allowing line to come off the top, thereby achieving greater distances. Its biggest drawback being that after the cast the reel had to be turned back to its original position on the rod.

JasonGotaProblem

Thanks all for the clear answers. It's likely obvious that I've never fished a conventional rig. But i am strongly considering picking up (and building) an old 4/0 senator just to join the party.

philaroman

get an acid-wrapped rod for it
most of the guides will be on the bottom, like you're used to
functional AND you can taunt conventions like the POTUS ;D ;D ;D

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 04, 2020, 04:51:09 PM
It's likely obvious that I've never fished a conventional rig but I am strongly considering picking up (and building) an old 4/0 senator just to join the party.

Say what?  :o The party?  ::) .  :D  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Ron Jones

I have always thought that conventionals have the handle on the right side because the first ones were built out of available parts at the hardware store and used right hand threads. If the handle is on the left everything is reversed. I have zero evidence to support this other than finding the odd old reel that looks like it was made from lamp parts that were coming on the market right about then.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 04, 2020, 06:48:25 PM
I have always thought that conventionals have the handle on the right side because the first ones were built out of available parts at the hardware store and used right hand threads. If the handle is on the left everything is reversed. I have zero evidence to support this other than finding the odd old reel that looks like it was made from lamp parts that were coming on the market right about then.
The Man
I hope that's true just for the coolness factor. It's crazy how many norms were dictated by happenstance a long time ago.
Thanks for sharing.

oc1

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 04, 2020, 06:48:25 PM
The Man
Vey insightful Ron.  I'll take it as fact.
-s

jurelometer

When winding is the most important, handle goes on the dominant hand side.

Just about everyone can wind faster and with more strength with the dominant hand.

Dominant arm for lifting strength is not as important, as lifting with two hands when pumping is an option.

If you are cast and wind fishing (e.g. working lures), and casting with one hand, most folks prefer to cast with the dominant hand, so having the handle on the non-dominant side means that you do not have to switch hands to wind after every cast. With  higher gear ratio reels and smaller target species, the advantage of the dominant hand in winding is not so important, and it can be useful to be able to start winding immediately at the end of a cast.

Fly reels are no different, except that you do not wind in on every cast and have an additional constraint:  If the handle is on the non-dominant side, it is more likely to tangle the line when shooting on the cast or clearing on a big fish.  So handle on the dominant side is the only way to go unless it bugs you too much and you don't cast far and/or target larger species.

The only caveat for all reel types, is that sometimes the difference is not substantial for a given situation, and once we get used to having the handle on a certain side, it can be hard to switch.  Left hand wind convectional reels  annoy me, but for some reason right or left spinners and fly reels work fine.

-----------
Regarding the original choice for right hand wind:

I think that the original conventional reels were knuckle busters (no anti-reverse/drag).   Having the handle on the dominant side means being able to stop larger fish.  Since most folks are right handed, and us lefties are used to getting screwed, the handle goes on the right side.  Works out great unless you are a right handed violinist or a surgeon :)

But we all get our own guess at this one, since we were not around when the design decision was made.

---------

Regarding first conventional reel:

I would start out with a reel that is more easily castable.  A 4/0 will be no fun  in that regard.    Something smaller with an anti-backlash feature would be nice (like a bass or inshore saltwater sized reel).  Load it with mono to start out.  Lots of folk give up on conventional reels  after a couple nasty backlashes, and spend the rest of their lives fishing with training wheels spinning reels.  :)

-J