Which mono...?

Started by Aiala, September 04, 2020, 01:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

I've been a diehard fan of Ande mono for more than half a century, but am thinking of trying something new on my upcoming 11-day. After some sniffing about, I'm inclining toward Momoi... but would gladly hear alternative opinions/recommendations from all o' y'all...?

Thanks!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

I like Izor XXX!  I take spools of 25/30/40/50 with me on my 10 days including the one at the end of this month.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gobi King

for main line? or leader?

Sufix superior is my go to line now.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Aiala

I'm thinking main line...

And I have to order online, here in the desert there's nothing available.  ::)

~A~

sabaman1

I think that Momoi Hi catch is a great line, I fish the blue color for offshore and clear for inshore and it tests out very well above its rating, seems to have good abrasion resistance. Also i find that it has no problems getting bit with finicky fish like bluefin tuna, and triggerfish. With all that said I still bring along some pink Ande for the offshore trips in the 15-25lb test for those days when it seems like the fish just dont want to eat and have found at times it to be a game changer.
JIM

sabaman1

I forgot to mention that i purchase my Momoi through West Marine online, they have very good prices.
JIM

MarkT

You use mono as your mainline rather than spectra?  All my reels have spectra with either a topshot of mono or just 4' of leader.

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on September 04, 2020, 02:45:25 PM
You use mono as your mainline rather than spectra?

Only on some reels... my spinners are all mono, also heavy bottom fishing, yoyo, etc. Otherwise it's braid under the mono... but in truth, I've never been all that fond of braided line. And yes, I am a total dinosaur.  ::)   :D

~A~

thorhammer

1) I love to hear a "y'all" coming out of the high Western desert, especially from such an accomplished linguaphile.
2) I love Ande. Dance with who brought ya :)
3) I also fish Momoi, as well as Suffix and BG, and have zero issues- nice performers.

The way we troll here, mono works best, with a fluoro leader. Braid on the bottom rods and spinners with fluoro leaders. My 0.02.

MarkT

Quote from: thorhammer on September 04, 2020, 03:35:51 PM
1) I love to hear a "y'all" coming out of the high Western desert, especially from such an accomplished linguaphile.
2) I love Ande. Dance with who brought ya :)
3) I also fish Momoi, as well as Suffix and BG, and have zero issues- nice performers.

The way we troll here, mono works best, with a fluoro leader. Braid on the bottom rods and spinners with fluoro leaders. My 0.02.

She's in the low desert, not high desert!
Really: "all o' y'all"?  Even I know that it's "all y'all" and I ain't a Texan.
I was going to comment that Ande is too thick and stiff but that might violate a 12 year old rule.

Dominick

Did anyone notice the punctuation was correct.   :)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SoCalAngler

Fan of Izor's  triple X also. When I worked in a tackle shop I tried all kinds of lines and now use the XXX with longer topshots on my reels that have them.

I also agree that Ande is way stiff and thick for my liking.

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on September 04, 2020, 04:09:22 PM
She's in the low desert, not high desert!

Yes indeed, just so.   8)

Quote from: MarkT on September 04, 2020, 04:09:22 PM
Really: "All o' y'all"?  Even I know that it's "all y'all" and I ain't a Texan.!

I ain't a Texan either... moved here from Virginia 33 years ago. As for the proper form:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/all_o%27_y%27all   ;)   :D

~A~

MarkT

Gotcha, it's the Virginia alternative form for those who can's speak Texan!

One of my Texan friends says that he doesn't have an accent, all y'all have accents.  That might be true if we were in Wichita Falls but he was in San Diego when he said that... at Phil's BBQ!

Gfish

Good info. here. Like to try some of that Momoi and Izor XXX. I use whatever I can find in the right lb. test, out of 2 choices, wallmart & the tiny oldschool bait & tackle supply here. Ace Hardware is in on the game since Kmart & Sports Authority left,  but way too expensive. I really wanna see it in person before I buy, and not pay shipping charges, but now I have some good recommendations for online shopping.

Info. is always best though, when reasons are supplied, as opposed to: "this is what I use", period.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!