Which mono...?

Started by Aiala, September 04, 2020, 01:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

You people are so uncouth.    I would not have wanted my twelve-year-old to read here and pick up bad habits.  It is spelled ya'll.

An authoritative source says: "Though "y'all" has gained acceptance through common usage, "ya'll" is the correct spelling. Language is born in the mouth and contractions are formed when the phonology of a word obviates a sound in a word that follows."

I stopped using mono all together twenty-five years ago and have never looked back.
-steve

Benni3

I top shot my 9/0 with 80lb hi catch diamond,,,,, ;) love it,,,,,,,,,, ;D

conchydong

Lots of good choices. Hard to go wrong with any of the lines mentioned. I have been using Sufix Superior for many years now and find it is a very good line and it is usually fair priced.

Aiala

Quote from: oc1 on September 04, 2020, 07:56:22 PM
An authoritative source says: "Though "y'all" has gained acceptance through common usage, "ya'll" is the correct spelling. Language is born in the mouth and contractions are formed when the phonology of a word obviates a sound in a word that follows."-Steve

The entire (lengthy) discussion is here:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Talk:y%27all#:~:text=Though%20%22y'all%22%20has,in%20a%20word%20that%20follows.

That "authoritative source" is dismissed as "rubbish" by a different authoritative source. For me, it's always been, and will remain, all o'y'all. Of course, everyone's free to speak as they please.  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

Quote from: oc1 on September 04, 2020, 07:56:22 PM
You people are so uncouth.    I would not have wanted my twelve-year-old to read here and pick up bad habits.  It is spelled ya'll.

An authoritative source says: "Though "y'all" has gained acceptance through common usage, "ya'll" is the correct spelling. Language is born in the mouth and contractions are formed when the phonology of a word obviates a sound in a word that follows."

I stopped using mono all together twenty-five years ago and have never looked back.
-steve

"y'all is a contraction of the words you-all. The apostrophe stands in place for the second and third letters of "you."

Ya'll, therefore, is a misspelling and should be avoided in writing.

Not only is y'all the logical spelling, but also it is the overwhelmingly preferred spelling by writers, editors, publishers, etc. Garner's Modern American Usage Dictionary estimates that y'all appears in print ten times more than does ya'll."

While y'all is technically plural in common use it means 'you' while all y'all means all of you... ya know, like youse guys.  Yeah, one of my other fishing friends is from Jersey!
It's all regional slang so it depends on which group of hillbillies, rednecks or Texans y'all are referring to.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Hmmm, let's all use "regional slang". Should be interesting to see comments from them-thare danged, uppity proper linguist types.
As a kid I almost put "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" down for good, after about 5 pages of Twain's regional dialect, 1st person narration. Then, gradually, I got used to it, the story got better and I thought it was pretty cool to learn to talk that way. Nowadays, I'm interested in all variations of the English language. It's fun to just throw some Yiddish, Chinglish, Californiaese or Minnisotanese, etc., into the conversation.

Great explaination, Mark. Y'all jest gots ta know though, that it don' make no diffrence how it be spelled. T'all means a same thing ta me.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

I'm down for some Spanglish. My son is in Oklahoma and they use some of that y'all stuff too.
Hmm, my handle on bloodydecks is hucklongfin... a combination of Huck Finn and Longfin (aka Albacore). Yeah, I'm your huckleberry!

Gfish

"Two drifters off to see the world, there's such alot of world to seeee. They're both searchin', for that saaammmme, rainbows end! It's down around the bend, ohhh, my huckleberry friend, Moon River annnd meee". Johnny Mercer/Henry Mancini, 1961.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Aiala

Quote from: Gfish on September 04, 2020, 10:53:32 PM
"Two drifters off to see the world, there's such alot of world to seeee. They're both searchin', for that saaammmme, rainbows end! It's down around the bend, ohhh, my huckleberry friend, Moon River annnd meee". Johnny Mercer/Henry Mancini, 1961.

Breakfast at Tiffany's... splendid flick!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Swami805

Still use Ande up to 60lb, Momoi for heavy mono. I like tournament Ande for iron
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

God help us if Gfish starts using more weird spellings.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

Quote from: Gfish on September 04, 2020, 10:53:32 PM

Way off key...  ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Palm Springs is 203 feet above me. So, high desert. Y'all is a contraction of you all, as previously stated. Now y'all, Ande may be considered a stiff line if you are to cast with it- no disagreement there, but as we are pulling it through outrigger, flatline, and planer release clips I like the abrasion resistance. Depends on one's application.

A desert below 276 feet MSL is low desert to me. I had forgotten from a long-ago conversation with her that she is originally from my redneck of the woods, phonetically speaking :)

MarkT

The Mojave Desert is the high desert, it's generally 2000'-5000'.  The low desert is the Colorado Desert... Palm Springs/Indio/Imperial Valley.  Palm Springs might be 450' but El Centro is all of 40'.  I've been snowed on in the high desert coming back from Lost Wages on I-15 going over Mountain Pass at 4700' crossing the Mojave.  If you go over the mountains from the basin on I-15 that's the Mojave aka the high desert.  You can tell when you're in the high desert because there's Joshua trees!  Going east on I-10 through Palm Springs is the Colorado Desert aka the low desert.  The San Gabriel Mountains east of LA top out at a little over 10000', the San Bernardino's at over 11000' and the San Jacinto's by Palm Springs at a little over 10000'. When you go to Palm Springs you go through Banning pass between the San Bernardino's and the San Jacinto's and into the Colorado desert.  Gee, what a surprise, there's lots of wind turbines in Banning pass!  You can take the Palm Springs tram up the mountains to 8000'.  I've been up there for dog sled races in the winter when it's in the 80's down in Palm Springs.  I was up there to go cross country skiing and didn't know they were having the dog sled races but it was really cool... in many ways!

Donnyboat

Hi Lannie & Ya`ll, I use Super Schneider clear line, for leeders, 55Lbs, or 70 Lbs, it is actually fishing line, but it dont crease like a lot of leed line, if you get a crease in leeder line, then thats were it will brake.
     I find braid line is the best, you feel a more instant bight, if bottom bouncing, I use about 2 Yds for the leeder, Schneider line, it dont say if it is mono or fluro, if trawling then about 6 Yds, good luck Ya`ll keep well stay safe, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat