9/0 spool spread out

Started by john2244, December 19, 2011, 02:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Ok John, thanks! If soft it would have been a good idea to replace. I know this is a stupid question, but make sure that the right side bushing in seated all the way. Also, If you drop a BB in that bushing or something similar, you won't need to shave anything...as Alan mentioned.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

This thread is a bit old but I thought I'd contribute my 2 cents.

Those old spools have the two side pieces that are held onto the shaft with pressed flanges.  When there is enough pressure applied (the old spools were not made to handle the extreme compressive/expansive forces of monofilament lines), the flange(s) will bend, causing the spool to become wider than it should be.  If this is, in fact, the case, there is no way to repair the spool.  Although you can press the flanges back in, the metal fatigue has already set in and the flanges will push out again.  Each time you do that, it'll take less pressure to press the flanges out.  If you are merely repairing the spool so that it looks okay, doing this isn't a problem.  On the other hand, if you want to use the reel, the spool needs to be replaced.

I've tried various ways of repairing such damaged spools, including pressing them back and soldering/brazing.  The spool either won't hold together and/or the heat from the soldering/brazing distorts the spool.  There may be some newer ways of brazing/welding (E.G., MIG/TIG) that don't generate as much heat/distortion, but I've not tried them.  The material is chrome plated bronze/brass so it's not very hard to work with.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.