9/0 spool spread out

Started by john2244, December 19, 2011, 02:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

I purchased, as a parts reel, a nice vintage Penn 9/0 with bushings, not bearings.  This reel was sold because the three piece spool seems to have " spread out " and is rubbing on the bridge plate. Can the spool be repaired ??  I was also thinking of grinding down the bridge plate and the inside of the spool where it was coming in contact with the bridge.  So do I have a nice parts reel and a spool as a paper weight or can this reel be put into service ???  Thanks for your help.
John

Alto Mare

John when you say spread out, do you mean an intermittent rubbing sound when you turn the spool ro a constant rubbing sound? I have seen the (3) piece spools warp, but never seen one spread out evenly. If it is an intermittent rubbing, there might be someone here that could fix it :-\... I wasn't able to do it. If it is a constant rubbing, than it's not the spool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

this is going to be tough.  it might almost be worth dumping the line, then squeezing the spool back together under an hydraulic press, then welding it back in place.  these spools are pretty expensive......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

This is a pic showing how the inside of the spool was rubbing on the bridge.

Very hard to see but it looks like one side of the spool moved about 3/32" .

alantani

you can do one of three things.  one, put a shim washer underneath the right side bearing (probably the better option).  two, grind away at the corners of the bridge plate where it comes in contact with the spool (i've done that before).  three, squeeze the spool back together (gonna be tough).   let's try shimming the bearing first. 

alantani

john2244

Alan,
Thanks for the ideas.  This reel has bushing so I will try and build up the bushing with something.   I will also grind the bridge a little, between the shimming and the grinding I may get this reel back into service.
John

Alto Mare

Or, it could also be something as simple as the upper bridge screws  :-\. Been there before.
John, I'm having a hard time seeing the rubbing spot fom your pictures. If you're talking about that line that runs all the way around the inner side of the spool, that tells me that your spool is not warped and it doesn't necessarely mean that the spool expanded. Lets take the easy way first. Check the bridge plate and see if the two upper mounting screws (the full threaded ones) are flush with the bridge plate, you can just run your finger over it. If they do come out a little, stroke them on a flat file a couple of times, or anything that will work for you and shave a little off the tip. If your spool is not warped, I'm pretty sure that this will work. If the spool is warped...good luck to you. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yeah, measure the distances on the spool and the side plate and find the high spot that is rubbing.  then knock it down a few thousanths.  that might be easiest.   :-\

broadway

I agree with Sal... it looks like where the bridge screw would be.  A shave would do!
Good call Sal!
Dom

alantani

actually, my bet is the corner of the bridge plate......   ;D

Alto Mare

I have seen the screws work, but I've also seen the bridge plate shaved and sometimes also the tip of the jack.  Alan might be right...but, is he ever wrong? ;D

john2244

I check the alingment of the mark on the spool with the bridge, and it is a perfect match.  Here is another pic of the spool.

Thanks to all for your help.  

John

Alto Mare

Good work, John. It could have also been the other things mentioned....the line on the spool tells the story. Just out of curiosity, do the clutch springs feel stiff or soft ?

john2244

Sal,

The clutch spring feels very firm.

John