Custom Ambassadeur parts

Started by ReelFishingProblems, September 17, 2020, 04:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

I'm updating this thread to put links to websites I've found useful/interesting for custom Ambassadeur parts.

The Akios Superstore (UK)
http://akios-superstore.co.uk
I know these upgrades have been used by members of the AlanTani.com community with good success.

The Rocket Reel Company (UK)
http://www.therocketreelcompany.com
Tincanary posted a reel with upgrades from this company. I checked out their page therocketreelcompany.com and it looks like they have all kinds of goodies to include frames/cages, gears, side plates, spools, lubricants, etc.

Surf Cast Pro Shop (Maryland)
surfcastproshop.com
the Surf Cast Pro Shop is based in Maryland and has lots of upgrades available, mostly from ZZeta Tuning, an Italian company.

You would think I would be satisfied with one variety of rabbit hole to go down (lots of custom Penn options). My wife is very excited  ::)

I know there are tons of other sites out there, please feel free to add to this starter list.

Nick

thorhammer

ReelFishingProblems

I'm still in the dreaming/planning/pricing phase.

I have the 5500C that would be great to play with, but I might just buy an Akios Shuttle 656

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on September 17, 2020, 05:37:35 PM

I have the 5500C that would be great to play with, but I might just buy an Akios Shuttle 656

looks like that's cheaper than a full rocket conversion. ow.......for me that's like a $1200 Century blank or $3000 sub-MOA rifle- operator skill not good enough to realize potential for cost :)

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: thorhammer on September 17, 2020, 06:16:55 PM
Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on September 17, 2020, 05:37:35 PM

looks like that's cheaper than a full rocket conversion. ow.......for me that's like a $1200 Century blank or $3000 sub-MOA rifle- operator skill not good enough to realize potential for cost :)

I really want to beef up the 5500C, but when I start looking at everything that I could do to this thing... the money really adds up. And the reel is only half the equation! I'm thinking of keeping the 5500C stock (maybe a cage upgrade)  and use it for Salmon when I move back to the NW, and then do an Akios shuttle on a homemade surf rod.

oc1

Thank you.  They have a lot of stuff.

I've led a sheltered life and didn't know there is a whole world of reel modifications and custom parts based on ABU.  Not surprising because I did not know there is a whole world of reel modifications and custom parts based on Penn until coming here.

What is the British/EU/ABU equivalent to AlanTani.com?  Maybe I'll move there.  Karl?
-steve

http://www.reelkustomreels.com/zzeta-tuning-parts.html
https://japantackle.com/Tackle_topics/abu_tuneup.htm
https://www.blakdogtackle.com/index.php?view=all&cPath=56_128

tincanary

I'm a big fan of their stainless/bronze gear set.  A lot of the musky fishermen around here run Ambassadeurs for throwing big double bladed baits like double cowgirls.  The most hardcore of those fishermen will burn through a set of OEM gears in a single season.  I've suggested the upgrade to many of my musky customers and I have yet to have one back in the shop that felt like a coffee grinder.  At the price Rocket Reel Company sells them, it's almost a no brainer as they only run about $10 more than OEM brass.

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: tincanary on September 17, 2020, 07:46:11 PM
I'm a big fan of their stainless/bronze gear set.  A lot of the musky fishermen around here run Ambassadeurs for throwing big double bladed baits like double cowgirls.  The most hardcore of those fishermen will burn through a set of OEM gears in a single season.  I've suggested the upgrade to many of my musky customers and I have yet to have one back in the shop that felt like a coffee grinder.  At the price Rocket Reel Company sells them, it's almost a no brainer as they only run about $10 more than OEM brass.

The gears definitely seems like a great upgrade.

What's your take on the one-piece frame? I've seen at least a couple people complain about bent stock cages. Do you see this as a nice to have upgrade or just cosmetic bling for most people?

Nick

tincanary

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on September 17, 2020, 07:57:17 PM
Quote from: tincanary on September 17, 2020, 07:46:11 PM

The gears definitely seems like a great upgrade.

What's your take on the one-piece frame? I've seen at least a couple people complain about bent stock cages. Do you see this as a nice to have upgrade or just cosmetic bling for most people?

Nick

I think this will depend more on the types of fish you're chasing.  All of my experience is freshwater, and I haven't managed to bend a frame chasing Great Lakes species which includes musky and lake sturgeon.  Having said that, I have heard stories of people bending frames with much harder fighting saltwater species such as Yellowtail.  Some of those saltwater anglers I know tend towards reels with a one piece frame due to the inherent durability.  If you're a freshwater angler it will be more bling than functional, but for the saltwater angler, it'll fit both categories.

mo65

Quote from: tincanary on September 17, 2020, 08:02:41 PM
If you're a freshwater angler it will be more bling than functional, but for the saltwater angler, it'll fit both categories.

I don't know fellas...I think the aluminum frame is a huge improvement no matter what you fish. It takes all flex out of the reel or something, because I can feel the difference casting the reel. It just feels really solid, and evidently lined up perfect because casting distance is way better, and the whole feel of the reel is better. I was blown away with the Akios gear set I used. The main and pinion are both steel on this set, and I expected it to feel like some of the Penn reels I've converted to that combination. No way...these gears are buttery...must be dead nuts precision manufacturing. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Yeah thanks a lot, Mike. I got a whole row of Abu's hanging above me that saw your post over my shoulder and now shooting me the bird for some frames like the Penn's hanging up there....

ReelFishingProblems

I was just telling myself how much I like my stock 5500C.... guess it's getting a frame... and gears... then maybe SS spool shaft... and the list seems to keep growing

Swami805

Those side plates look nice, $130 +shipping for a set ins't too steep,hhmmm. Some nice stuff they have there. The Half of me that pays the bills is sorry I saw that.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ReelFishingProblems

I found another site. The major ticket items are pretty spendy, but there are lots of things to look at. They are operated out of Elkridge, Maryland (close to Baltimore). The place is called the Surf Cast Pro Shop

https://surfcastproshop.com/