Better braided line lay on older reels

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 28, 2020, 02:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

There's some members here that can help or you can go to striper online to distance caisting or the rod builder form,,,,,, ;) they can help you find the right rod for your reel if have any problems with this,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: Benni3 on September 29, 2020, 06:01:42 PM
braid will dig into the eyes,

Quote from: CapeFish on September 29, 2020, 11:09:58 AM
braid damages and grooves the line roller

I still contend that braid is less abrasive than mono when comparing lines of the same diameter..  But, being smaller diameter braid can cut into something easier than fat mono.

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 28, 2020, 11:11:44 PM
I believe it has to do with the line not getting close enough to the top of the spool. The end result is the wrap closest to the top on the next layer ends up down in that gap and it just compounds upon itself as more layers go down.

Quote from: mo65 on September 29, 2020, 02:20:41 PM
It's not so much the diameter difference...it's more about the material difference. That braid just doesn't draw itself smoothly onto the spool as mono. Even the least little bit of stretch in that mono causes the wraps to "suck" right onto the spool. Braid just won't do that...a slack wrap or two just lays there exactly as it was laid on...and next thing you know...well you know! And like I said earlier, if that spool alignment is one hair out from perfect, it won't effect mono line lay a bit, but with braid it will stack higher on one end or the other horribly.

Still don't get it.  You guys will have to draw me a picture or something.

-steve

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on September 29, 2020, 06:46:46 PM
 You guys will have to draw me a picture or something.
With pleasure.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JoseCuervo

jurelometer

Quote from: Benni3 on September 29, 2020, 06:30:58 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 29, 2020, 06:10:48 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on September 29, 2020, 06:01:42 PM
...and the distance form the reel to the first eye makes a difference in casting and lay line...
Never heard that before. Can you elaborate further or point me in the direction of where to read more on the topic?
I don't know to much about it,,,,,, ??? a rod builder explained it to me,,,,,, :-[ the size of your reel spool and eye,,,the distance between ^v+Ve+Me+Mf= distance,,,,, :-\ it's more like rocket science to me but a good rod builder could explain it,,,,that's why penn recommends this rod for this reel,,,,,,,, ;D
Spinning reels throw the line off the spool in coils when casting.  There is all sorts of nastiness going on with the coils banging into the first guide frame, even wrapping around the frame and eye a little. This goes on to lesser extent for the next several guides.  Stiffer lines make nastier coils.

The old style method to address this was to go with bigger eyes, but current designs use only small eyes.  The idea is that you are better off choking off the coils at the first guide.   The first couple of eyes have to be pretty far away from the blank.  The exact distance depends on the height of the reel, the angle the the reel, the length of the rod, and the distance from the reel to the guide.

Guide style and placement will affect casting distance and to a lesser extent accuracy.  It will also affect the ability of the rod to load up the lower portion for fighting fish (always a problem for spinners).

Don't see how it is possible for guide style/placement  to affect line lay when winding.

There is a thread on guide placement, line banging, etc somewhere on this site.

-J

Bryan Young

When I fill spinner spools with braid, I use a line winding machine so that I can lay line on as level as possible all the way to the top and bottom of the spool. If either digs in while casting or fighting a fish, all will be lost.  And the top 100 yards really doesn't pose any issues because the top and bottom are packed and the way the line lays, you shouldn't have any grooving as the line does a lot of cris-crossing after that preventing line from digging in. If the fish takes more than 100 yards of line, then I retire the reel as it needs to be unpacked and re-spooled since the top and bottom will no longer be sufficiently packed.

I found that soft braid works best for me, like Daiwa braided lines. I have been fishing Daiwa braid for over 25 years without any issues. My Shimano Twin Drag still catches fish and the braid is the same braid that was put on over 25 years ago. Albeit faded and it's getting down in the spool a little since cutting off frayed sections.

Fused line seems to be the worst as the fuses straight fibers tend to be stiffer than braided lines.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D