4/0 size level drag reel question

Started by boghy, December 21, 2011, 08:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boghy

Quote from: Jimmer on December 28, 2011, 03:47:04 PM
I don't have a ca 12 to  compare the ca 50 parts to. What is the difference here? Longer drag lever, different cam angle, better surface finish? Thanks - Jimmer

For Cavalla 50w the "Adjust Block" is made from two parts, unlike 20's where is ONE part only. So for 50w we have one "Adjust Block" which is part #16020024 (key #602-1) that belongs actually to the "Level Drag" itself, and the ACTUAL "Adjust Block", part #16020025 (key #602) WHICH IS THE SAME WITH THE 20's model.
To eliminate ANY confusion, when i mention that the "Adjust Block" has rough surfaces, i was talking about part #16020025 (key #602) that's pretty much "universal" to cavalla series. This "Adjust Block" aka #16020025 - does NOT belong to this upgrade process since is the SAME FOR ALL CAVALLA SERIES - AND - this is actually the "catch problem" with cavalla series where this "cheap" "Adjust Block" - part #16020025" - was designed very poorly.
When tuning the 20's reel, the combination of the 50w's "Level Drag aka #16050111 (key #605)" and "Adjust Block aka #16020024 (key #602-1)" is what smooth up the friction on the "cheap" "Adjust Block" - part #16020025", NOT THE "cheaply made "Adjust Block" - part #16020025" itself.
To better understand my post, please take a look at the Okuma Cavalla 50w schematics. You'll need Adobe Reader to view the schematics.

Let me know if you didn't understand something. I don't mind helping people, especially if this will save you an extra buck.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

JGB

Jimmer,

Try not to make the adjust block issue complicated. The 50w uses a different lever assembly that is 2 pieces while the ca20 uses a 1 piec cast lever. The cams are the same and were never upgraded for surface texture and corrosion resistance. I did some testing of the cavalla and the soltera which shared similar cams. both were textured and would rust. I was able to get Okuma to redesign the Soltera cam with a satin finish and a higher grade stainless. The Soltera cam upgraded Part # 16020013. It will fit the Cavalla but will have a slightly softer ramp (in my opinion a good thing). You can also replace the brown washer with a cut down #0920004 teflon washer to make lever action at high drag smoother.

So here is the deal with Cavallas that will not achieve spec drag with free spool. first you MUST only use the stock bellevills and the the lever can not be warn down too much. The rough cam has a tendency to grind down the aluminum lobes in the lever of the 15 and 20 (especially true if you use high drag settings and move the drag a lot while fighting fish). If the lobes flatten out too much the free spool detente will loose range and not give complete free spool. I have had to replace 1 lever on my CA20.

BTW trying to smooth out the surface of the CA cam is a effort in futility. The material is very hard.

Jim N.

boghy

I wonder how much this will bump up the price for cavalla series on ebay... anyway... based on okuma officials, they WILL provide parts support for cavalla series up to 5-6 years, so - there you have it. Even though for 2012 catalog they retire the cavalla series - 5-6 years in parts, will still be available. That's about $50/year for 50w's and about $46/year for 20's - in value speaking.

alantani

to tighten up the preset knob on this reel or the accurates, use repair #35 o-ring - 11/16" o.d. x 9/16" i.d. x 1/16"  it is part #96749 at most hardware stores.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boghy

Quote from: alantani on December 30, 2011, 04:36:37 AM
to tighten up the preset knob on this reel or the accurates, use repair #35 o-ring - 11/16" o.d. x 9/16" i.d. x 1/16"  it is part #96749 at most hardware stores.  alan

I updated my post, where i realized what i "skipped" when i mention that tuneup.
In that way the knob won't need to be too tighten. Cost about $0.50 directly from okuma. Just ordered some.
The #16050111 which is called "Level Drag" cost about $19, the part number #16020024 which is the "ADJUST BLOCK" cost about $5 both from Cavalla 50w's and the part #16090013 named "Spring Washer" from Okuma Solterra SLR-15CS an $0.50 plus $4 shipping, is about $30 rounded up.

P.S. I know pics replace 1,000 words, i just didn't had the time to make the full tutorial on this tune up yet, but within 2 weeks i would be able to do so, like my past ones were made.

TonyFriend

Quote from: boghy on December 30, 2011, 05:58:57 AM
Quote from: alantani on December 30, 2011, 04:36:37 AM

I updated my post, where i realized what i "skipped" when i mention that tuneup.
In that way the knob won't need to be too tighten. Cost about $0.50 directly from okuma. Just ordered some.
The #16050111 which is called "Level Drag" cost about $19, the part number #16020024 which is the "ADJUST BLOCK" cost about $5 both from Cavalla 50w's and the part #16090013 named "Spring Washer" from Okuma Solterra SLR-15CS an $0.50 plus $4 shipping, is about $30 rounded up.

Alan, the timing on this thread is amazing. It looks as though we are seeing issues that are directly relevant to my Cavalla 15-IIs. If you think different parts are the answer, rather than trying to modify/fix the existing part, please go ahead and get them.

boghy

Imagine that - I need help guys.
I ordered from Okuma the part #16020024 (called: ADJUST BLOCK) aka key #602-1 which belongs to Okuma Cavalla CA-50WII and to my surprise, this part DID NOT FIT PROPERLY INTO AN Okuma Cavalla CA-50WII. The center HOLE was somewhat smaller then the ORIGINAL one. So, after scratching my head, i end up installing this part into Okuma Cavalla CA-20II with the 50w's "Level Drag", AND adding the Okuma Solterra SLR-15CS's key #609 which is the part #16090013 - the reel bumped up to 30-32lbs drag at strike and 40-42lb at full drag, measured at full spool, WITHOUT LOOSING FREESPOOL. Sounds crazy, but something doesn't add up, which is also the part where i would like to hear some opinions from you guys - is anyone aware about any backdoor changes to the part number #16020024 (called: ADJUST BLOCK), made by Okuma that does not fit properly Okuma Cavalla CA-50WII's reel? I mean, we seen some changes made to Okuma Solterra's  series - was this also done quietly then to realize "Oh crap, if we'll let this small change to flood the marked, our Okuma Makaira series will suffer from market share - so let's pull the plug" Hmm... this is very very shady. I had an old #16020024 (called: ADJUST BLOCK), but the new one OR IS FROM THE Okuma Cavalla CA-30-II where they sent it to me by error (which i'm not aware of, since i didn't had one of thous reels in my hands) OR, is what i just said above, where they did that change to #16020024 (called: ADJUST BLOCK) and works better then expected where Okuma Makaira would be affected.
Anyway - i got 1 minute and 43 sec of freespool "20-22lbs at strike and 30-32lb at full digitally measured" (the original spool bearings where serviced by removing the dust caps, bearings were grease cleaned then dried and applied on drop of quantum hot sauce oil on each bearing )
Talking about catch ha?

P.S. Next week i'll gonna do A VIDEO DEMO OF MY TUNEUP - THAT'S A PROMISE! Where i'll gonna lay down every single piece of details - STEEP BY STEEP, till then, enjoy my rod bend at 30lbs with Okuma Cavalla CA-20II:

...glow in dark shark rod with an half a mile away visibility - marine grade reflective tape, is just - nuts: - enjoy