4/0 size level drag reel question

Started by boghy, December 21, 2011, 08:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boghy

Does anyone know a 4/0 or smaller size level drag type reel that can lift from the ground, by cranking, a 20lb dead weight or over? It doesn't matter if is one or two speed nor price, what matters is, it can't be bigger then an 4/0 size reel and to dead lift that 20lb weight BY TURNING THE HANDLE NOT BY LIFTING UP THE ROD.
I would like to know this based on someones experience that are backed by measured facts, not just assumptions.

Thank you!
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

Bryan Young

There are many reels that can do this, esp. 2 speed reels.  I've see Penn's TRQ LD do this but I esp. like the Makaira 15 II and accurate ATD 30s.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Inspiro

how much can the Makaira II lift maximum?
Will it have the same lifting power like a Makaira 10?, I belive both have the same handles, gear ratio & Spool diameter.

Inspiro

Inspiro

What will be teh ultimate winch in this size or close for bottom fish?

Inspiro

Keta

Quote from: Inspiro on December 21, 2011, 12:14:14 PM
What will be teh ultimate winch in this size or close for bottom fish?

Inspiro

Any mid size and up two speed reel would work well, the depth you are fishing determines the size of the reel.  I have a Penn 50SW set up for deep water fishing that has a 1:1 low gear for "cranking power".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Inspiro

Ok to be more specific
Price is a main factor
Depth of no more than 200 ft
Drag around 25 lb I guess(for 60-70 lb groupers)
Fishing line 100lb briad or 80mono (25lb drag x 3)
weight is an issue as well

Inspiro

Keta

If $250 is in your price range a Penn 113HN Baja Special would work with a advertised drag of 27lbs, a 4.25:1 gear ratio and a weight of 29oz.

For fishing over 50' deep I'd stay with braid due to it's low stretch.

Why are you not wanting to pump with your rod, is this for a handicapped fisherman?  My legs were severely crushed and twisted several years ago (no broken bones but my knees were destroyed and tendon behind my right knee almost severed by the pressure of the machenery on my legs) and my legs don't work too good.  I have learned to get around my limitations, up to a 258lb YFT, but I use two speed reels and the rail.  

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

If Boghy is in fact fishing grouper he's just cranking.  If you pump the rod before you get him off the bottom you stand a better chance on losing him to the rocks.  Ya can't give those grouper a chance to get back to their domain...crank fast until ya get him at least 10-20 feet off the bottom. 
Keta,
   Pulling in a 250lb. YFT without much use of the legs... you must have arms like a gorilla! Kudos to you for not giving up on the things you love... inspirational!

PS- maybe the 4/0 metal senator would do the trick, but I like the baja (113hn) a bit more for versatility. The other route is to ask Sal how to build a behemoth of a 4/0 (113H) senator  ;)

Dom

Keta

If Boghy is in fact fishing grouper he's just cranking.  If you pump the rod before you get him off the bottom you stand a better chance on losing him to the rocks.  Ya can't give those grouper a chance to get back to their domain...crank fast until ya get him at least 10-20 feet off the bottom.  

Like a large YT on structure.

Pulling in a 250lb. YFT without much use of the legs... you must have arms like a gorilla! Kudos to you for not giving up on the things you love... inspirational!

Big gut helps ;D  Actually I run around 150lbs.  I occasionally have to move 150lb-160lb hay bales so I have some upper body strength still.

Mark Twain

broadway

Never caught a yellowfin before...wait a minute... did you say you weigh 150lbs. and move 150-160lb. hay bales... you're an OX!
good stuff,
Dom

Bryan Young

Quote from: Inspiro on December 21, 2011, 01:12:52 PM
Ok to be more specific
Price is a main factor
Depth of no more than 200 ft
Drag around 25 lb I guess(for 60-70 lb groupers)
Fishing line 100lb briad or 80mono (25lb drag x 3)
weight is an issue as well

Inspiro

Makaira 10II is small reel.  I think it holds 300 yrs of 65# spectra with max 27# of drag at strike (per spec) at a little less than $500.  I'd probably go with the Makaira 20II for $40 more.  See http://www.okumafishingteam.com/family/284012.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: boghy on December 21, 2011, 08:07:22 AM
Does anyone know a 4/0 or smaller size level drag type reel that can lift from the ground, by cranking, a 20lb dead weight or over? It doesn't matter if is one or two speed nor price, what matters is, it can't be bigger then an 4/0 size reel and to dead lift that 20lb weight BY TURNING THE HANDLE NOT BY LIFTING UP THE ROD.
I would like to know this based on someones experience that are backed by measured facts, not just assumptions.

Thank you!

That's a tough challange you're putting out there, boghy. You are talking 20lb of dead weight correct? I think you should look into a bigger reel, I won't even attempt to do that kind of test on my 4/0. I would lift a 20 to 25 lb bucket of water by lifting the rod with my Penn Senator "little tank" 4/0 that I just completed. That would be as far as I would push a 4/0...well my 4/0. If anyone here thinks that it can be done with a 4/0  by cranking, I would love to see the video...not the pictures :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

boghy

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 21, 2011, 07:19:49 PM
Quote from: boghy on December 21, 2011, 08:07:22 AM

Thank you!

That's a tough challange you're putting out there, boghy. You are talking 20lb of dead weight correct? I think you should look into a bigger reel, I won't even attempt to do that kind of test on my 4/0. I would lift a 20 to 25 lb bucket of water by lifting the rod with my Penn Senator "little tank" 4/0 that I just completed. That would be as far as I would push a 4/0...well my 4/0. If anyone here thinks that it can be done with a 4/0  by cranking, I would love to see the video...not the pictures :-\

THANK YOU!!! Finally someone realized the EXACT MEANING of my question!
So, i ask again - is there anyone fully aware strictly based on previous experience that CAN DEAD LIFT (like a crane) an 20lb weight ONLY BY TURNING THE REEL'S HANDLE for a 4/0 OR less type reel? - ANY PRICE - ANY BRAND.
Example: You have your reel on your rod - then tie a 20lb fitness weight, turn the 4/0's handle WITHOUT MOVING YOUR ROD, then the 20lb weight should lift up! No fish - no water - no moving up and down your rod - just you - your rod - your reel and your 20lb dead weight. That's it that's all. There is one thing a the drag power and other is the cranking power two different worlds. The faulty part of ANY reel manufactures is that they don't have a standard to measure the cranking power.

Keta

I'll go to the shop in the morning and get my Avet EX 4/0 two speed with a EX 50 handle on it and my bent butt 80 rod and see what I can lift with it.  I'm sure I can lift 20lbs with my Penn 50 STW with 1:1 low gear. 

Mark Twain

boghy

I'm looking forward to read your test results.