Daiwa Lexa 300HS-P (non-HD) binding

Started by wolvie, October 05, 2020, 09:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolvie

Hi folks,

I have a 300 HS-P that has served me well for years, but suddenly binds when under load.  It feels like the line is wrapped around the rod tip.  (I checked to ensure it is not.)

I figure it is the bearings, since I have never replaced them, but Daiwa does not sell a kit, they can't tell you which ones you need they just refer you to the schematics for the part numbers.  I checked the schematic and only see 4 listed (although I imagine 17 is the 5th bearing even though it is listed as part of the spool assembly.) 

There are supposed to be 7 and the kit from fasteddy has 7 (2 of 3x8x4, 2 4x7x2.5, 1 5x9x3, 1 5x11x4, 1 8x14x4). 

From Daiwa schematics

13 140-1500 (spool bearing x2 with 17 I guess)
52 140-1280 (under drive shaft)
66 140-0570 (above roller clutch)
65 140-1370 (roller clutch)

what am i missing?  35 says bush? Is fasteddy as good a place to get them?

Rancanfish

I have a brand new one in a box still, but I digress.  Have you taken it apart yet?  I don't think I would order all new bearings as it could be just a bad one causing the issue, (if related to bearings at all).  You can't use it anyway so tear it down.

I haven't had any issues with my (same) old style 400.  I last bought bearings at Boca Bearings.  You provide the measurements and they get you the right ones.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jurelometer

Mebbe the levelwind?

I think that this reel has a disengaging levelwind.  These can be subject to stress if line is taken out under drag, especially at higher settings.

You can try pushing  against  the line guide direction of travel when winding without load and see if you get some of the same grindy/binding  feeling.

And you might get more replies if you post this under conventional Daiwa reels instead of the spinning forum.  I think the m,oderators can move a thread if you ask them.

-J

wolvie

D'oh

I think I fixed that, thanks for pointing it out.

Quote from: jurelometer on October 06, 2020, 01:40:30 AM

And you might get more replies if you post this under conventional Daiwa reels instead of the spinning forum.  I think the m,oderators can move a thread if you ask them.

-J

wolvie

Thanks.  I will give that a try.

Quote from: jurelometer on October 06, 2020, 01:40:30 AM
Mebbe the levelwind?

I think that this reel has a disengaging levelwind.  These can be subject to stress if line is taken out under drag, especially at higher settings.

You can try pushing  against  the line guide direction of travel when winding without load and see if you get some of the same grindy/binding  feeling.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Just don't buy the kit from fasteddy. The kit for 3 bearings for my penn is $13 when the bearings on their site are $1 each. You can literally use the listed sizes on the kit (they list the sizes) to order them individually from their own site for less money. Just saying.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

wolvie

Good tip, thanks.

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 06, 2020, 06:14:02 PM
Just don't buy the kit from fasteddy. The kit for 3 bearings for my penn is $13 when the bearings on their site are $1 each. You can literally use the listed sizes on the kit (they list the sizes) to order them individually from their own site for less money. Just saying.

philaroman

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 06, 2020, 06:14:02 PM

avoid FastEddy, PERIOD!!!
their bearings are chromed steel -- NOT, STAINLESS!!!
...i.e., not reel-appropriate regardless of price

wolvie

OK, I took it all apart and all the bearings seem fine.  I am missing one of those little washers that goes under the pinion yoke springs, but that may have happened years ago when I opened it up when new to give it the internal coat of grease.  Too long ago for me to remember, but it was not floating around inside the reel.  No noticeable wear on the plastic, but I will try to get that part also.

Everything actually looks fine, no parts falling out and the grease layer seems to have kept everything free of corrosion.  I had also removed the shields and packed the bearings with grease, which seems to have prevented corrosion there also.

I called Daiwa and any part is at least 2.5 weeks out.  They referred me to platinum, whose prices reflect that the parts are made of that, and southwest, who seems to also be out of everything, except the spool bearings.

I guess I will have to go with Daiwa and wait on parts.

Given the delay, I think I will just sonic clean everything, regrease and reassemble to see if I get lucky.