Fall 2020 Flathead Catfish

Started by mo65, October 07, 2020, 01:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Finally made it over to my brother's place to get some fall river fishing in. The bite was slow, but we did get a few nice cats, it was great just to get out on the river. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlrDBHYPtaE&fbclid=IwAR0z4Ue90FLj4nv_jH0G7jD4k9qhQS1qiSXYOfOCh3RZLDgEiGf4fw1brWo
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Looks like a fun time, thanks for the video!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Thanks for entertaining us, Mike!

Great video!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Hardy Boy

Looks like a fun day fishing. I think you need more rod holders ........................ ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

festus

That's some nice catfish.  I didn't realize you could find skipjack herring in Ohio.

steelfish

after those catfish saw those many rods holders they didnt have any option other than surrender and jump to the boat   ;D ;D

great video Mo.
The Baja Guy

mo65

Quote from: festus on October 07, 2020, 05:06:03 PM
That's some nice catfish.  I didn't realize you could find skipjack herring in Ohio.

You betcha Chester...the river here is full of skips. 8)

oc1

Really nice Mo.  That was a huge one your brother caught.
-s

Ron Jones

Ona an extra narrow Jigmaster!
Looks like Mo got his bears trimmed a little bit.
I hate cleaning cat-fish that size, but they are great eating fish.
Way to go
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Midway Tommy

Well done, Mike!  8)

If you can stand the weather and find the holes, in another month or two they'll be wintering, and with high tech electronics you can sit over 'em and reel in one biggie like that first one after another. November & December open water are great flathead times because they are concentrated in smaller areas.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Benni3

Great going man,,, ;) liked the show,,,, :D that was a monster flathead,,,,,, :o how much drag was you using,,,,,,,, ;D

Donnyboat

Thanks Mike, love watching some action, & viewing a boat with nice rods & reels, all killers for sure, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

Quote from: Benni3 on October 07, 2020, 11:57:45 PM
Great going man,,, ;) liked the show,,,, :D that was a monster flathead,,,,,, :o how much drag was you using,,,,,,,, ;D

Thanks Benni! If you're referring to the drag on the big one my brother caught, he hooked that one on a stock Abu 6500. It is spooled with 30lb. mono with drag set around 10lbs. With a fish that size it can sometimes take a while to get it in the boat on the Ambassaduer, but setting the drag higher will most times end in disappointment, either busted line or ruined gears. 8)