Quantum Iron IR330

Started by BodegaErik, December 22, 2011, 02:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BodegaErik

Alan,

Probably 10 years ago I got a good deal on two of these reels.  Never used them until about 3 years ago when I used one for live bait albies.  Worked awesome and landed fish to 25lbs.  After that it became my bottomfishing reel...  big vermillons and lingcod were not a problem.  Well, its been about a year since I used it until one day last week.  Brought it bottom fishing and the anti-reverse seemed to slip.  Do you know much about these reels?  I do have the manual which has a diagram and thinking maybe I'll take it apart one of these days, but I don't know if I should change the drag disks or anything else.  Any opinion?

BodegaErik

mackereljoe

It's a very good reel, a true Japanese made classic.  Been awhile since i changed the drag.  For what i remember, it's the same as shimano 400 from Smoothdrag.  It has an anti-reverse roller bearing and anti-reverse  dog similar to abu garcia.  Very simple to take apart.   Also, i added 3 .25" magnet in the left side plate to reduce overrun since the spool don't have enough lip for thumb control.  Good enough to fly-line chovy and dines.         

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=201

Brendan

A friend gave me one to work on, it seemed to be a one screw take apart deal but I could not get it apart. It's been on a shelf for about a year. He likes it enough to want it super serviced but I'm kind of over it.
Brendan.

Ken_D

Hi. This reel's discontinued by Zebco. Years ago. They seem to do that. Design a nice reel, then drop it.  Parts are either all dried up, or soon will be. Can you define anti-reverse slip? Is it a clunk clunk zzzzz? If it is, you may want to take a close look at the pinion gear, and the mating part of the spool. The ramps may be toast.

Ken_D

330's are very nice reels, easy to work on. Loosen those really long screws, to seperate the two sides. Then pull the handle, star, and remove the two screws under the crank boss. After that, everything is visible.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/quantum/Quantum_IR320%2C_IR330.pdf

Brendan

I have a Baitrunner that was found under water, if I am able to pull this off I will be ready for easy. Thanks very much for the heads up on the Iron.
Thanks, Brendan.