Coating Inside the gearbox

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 25, 2020, 02:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

It only took a month to get to it but I finally disassembled it and stripped off all the internal paint.  I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Still haven't been able to test the dang thing yet. I've had very busy weekends and the one fishing trip I did make got rained out. Still tried, but nothing was biting. I hope to change that this weekend.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

when you get 'em in close, they'll get blinded & freak...
A CUDA MAY LAUNCH AT YOUR CROTCH, MAN!!! :o
better wait for a little dull-grey oxidation, or a cloudy day

Hardy Boy

That does look very cool. Not sure if I would do the work but that is one sweet looking reel !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gfish

There's some kinda special coating that M. G. used to put on the inside of the gearbox. Kind of a light orangish-yellow color. I had it in a Saltwater 302, and I just saw what I think is the same stuff in a DAM 330 Finessa. It was on the inside of the cover plate. Mighta been all over the inside, but covered with that black paint.
Wish I knew what it was, and how ta get some.
Festus pointed that out to me and, if I recall, there's info. on the Mitchell Muesuem website.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Gfish on October 22, 2020, 10:09:09 PM
There's some kinda special coating that M. G. used to put on the inside of the gearbox. Kind of a light orangish-yellow color. I had it in a Saltwater 302, and I just saw what I think is the same stuff in a DAM 330 Finessa. It was on the inside of the cover plate. Mighta been all over the inside, but covered with that black paint.
Wish I knew what it was, and how ta get some.
Festus pointed that out to me and, if I recall, there's info. on the Mitchell Muesuem website.

Gfish, back in the day on high performance engine rebuilds we used to use a product called Glyptol to paint the inside of engine blocks - the whole idea being to create a smooth durable surface inside the engine that would allow the oil to drain back quicker into the sump.  Now that wouldn't be an issue with reel internals, but it would certainly seal and protect the metal on the interior I would think.

oc1

Greg, search "yellow zinc plating" and see if it looks familiar.  I'm not sure but think that on bare aluminum you have to first apply zinc plating and then add the chromate that prevents the zinc from corroding.
-steve

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on October 22, 2020, 09:01:21 PM
when you get 'em in close, they'll get blinded & freak...
A CUDA MAY LAUNCH AT YOUR CROTCH, MAN!!! :o
better wait for a little dull-grey oxidation, or a cloudy day
Legit concern. My wife would finally be justified in complaining about all the effort I out into this. Speaking of which...
Quote from: Hardy Boy on October 22, 2020, 09:20:29 PM
That does look very cool. Not sure if I would do the work but that is one sweet looking reel !!

Cheers:

Todd
Would you be surprised to know I had absolutely no idea how much work I had signed up for? I actually commented that I expected to put 20 hours into this. Turned into more like 80 and counting. But there was definitely some learning involved. If i did a second one I suspect I could do it in 20.

Biggest difference: I'd use citristrip from the beginning so I can remove the paint with a toothbrush like i did on the inside, not the 80 grit sandpaper i started with on the outside like a moron. Probably some weight reduction though.

Also I keep hearing about "protectaclear" coating for polished aluminum. It's not crazy pricey so I may have to try it. Right now its carnauba wax on the outside and a penn grease paint job inside.

steelfish

yayay!!  what a tremenndous amount of work on that reel, I would said unique but there are some guys that have done the same with their reels, that doesnt take any merit away, looks pretty good.

seems that polishing the interior was more for the wow factor than for functional purposes, a good amout of yamaha marine grease and a quick check out every few months would have kept the intenal walls and parts in good shape, now with the crude raw aluminium you still have to do those quarterly check outs to search for green or brown oxidation.

if that was my reel I would take all the parts out again and clean the body with a good degreaser and take the reel to a car body shop for a good automotive clear coat job, it would be shiny in protected for some time, not sure how it would look in 2 or 3 years but mostly depends on the use you give to the reel but I would take the bet and do it anyway.

The Baja Guy

handi2

Quote from: steelfish on October 23, 2020, 05:20:19 PM
yayay!!  what a tremenndous amount of work on that reel, I would said unique but there are some guys that have done the same with their reels, that doesnt take any merit away, looks pretty good.

seems that polishing the interior was more for the wow factor than for functional purposes, a good amout of yamaha marine grease and a quick check out every few months would have kept the intenal walls and parts in good shape, now with the crude raw aluminium you still have to do those quarterly check outs to search for green or brown oxidation.

if that was my reel I would take all the parts out again and clean the body with a good degreaser and take the reel to a car body shop for a good automotive clear coat job, it would be shiny in protected for some time, not sure how it would look in 2 or 3 years but mostly depends on the use you give to the reel but I would take the bet and do it anyway.

I would do the same getting clear coat on the outside. That is hours of hard work. There is no easy way to do it. I'll send you mine when your ready..!!

I did a 706 years ago. They are easier. Aircraft paint remover was used.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

next time, just start w a 95 & sandblast down to 85 :D

JasonGotaProblem

The thing is I've done a lot of research on a clear cpat solution for this. Most clears don't stick to polished aluminum. It is, by definition a non varied surface. There's some stuff called protectaclear that claims to be designed for exactly such a task though. I may try that.

I'm actually somewhat open to the idea of taking commissions to do this. Not sure what would be a fair asking price though. (No I did not interpret that as an order being placed I'm just talking about the concept)

Brewcrafter

Jason - I know that it is not uncommon in my industry that many highly polished Copper surfaces are coated, and I believe it is with a urethane based clear.  It's somewhat of a double edged sword.  If you walk into enough brewpubs, you will see uncoated copper where if they don't hire a full time guy just to polish it, it quickly oxidizes.  Or in the case of coated systems (we have a few of those in my company) the problem is if you get any splash from the chemicals used to traditionally clean brewing equipment - it eats up the coating and now you have shiny protected copper with spots, splash marks, etc, that oxidize and look like crap.  But with a fishing reel I "hope" you are not going to be subjecting it to strong caustics and acids, or abrasives for cleaning, so possible a urethane type coating would be your solution?  Beautiful reel however. - john