Shimano Calcutta 250

Started by jeffro22, November 01, 2020, 07:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffro22

I have an older Shimano Calcutta 250.  I am having an issue after I put the reel in free spool.   The reel will cast fine but it wont re-engage the gear when I turn the handle.  Every now and then it will, but normally it wont and the handle will just spin freely.  this originally started happening maybe 1 out of every 10 cast,  but now it is happening every time.   If I tap on the side plate numerous times while turning handle it will finally engage.

I have reel disassembled but not exactly sure what to look for

philaroman

look at the engagement slots on pinion (opposite end from teeth... where cross-pin goes)
are they worn/rounded?  should be fairly "pointy"  
there's a post w/ photos...  HERE: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27336.0

oc1

Could be the yoke springs or the yoke riding on the posts is gummed up.  First thing I'd try is to open the right side plate with the three thumb screws and spray the heck of the insides with a can of WD-40 (or any spray lubricant).  Then, shake out the excess oil.  As you replace the right side plate note the little silver forked tab where the thumb bar meets the side plate.  When you move the tab up or down with your fingernail you can feel it switch from freespool to engaged or vice versa.  Do that a few times.  At the same time, you should see the pinion move.  The post on the thumb bar needs to slip into that fork when the side plate is replaced.

If that doesn't work then it would need a more in-depth breakdown.  But, it's probably nothing serious.
-steve

Lunker Larry

Check the kick plate to see if it has worn.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

here is your schematic.  my guess is the clutch pawl (aka kick lever), bnt 1306, that is worn down.  the clutch pawl spring might be broken, bnt 1307.  if the reel had been disassembled, there is a slight possibility that an upside down bnt 1215 anti-reverse ratchet might have been installed upside down, but that is unlikely.  look for wear on the clutch pawl and look for a broken spring.  try reversing the ratchet as a last resort.  can you let us know?  thanks!  alan

https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/Shimano_ct250.pdf
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jeffro22

thanks for all the help.  I have reel partially disassembled.   I will post up a few pictures tonight and hopefully can get this figured out.  I will keep you updated if I figure out a fix

jeffro22

Springs appear to be ok. The pinion looks the same as my other reels

alantani

can you pull the main gear and see how well the ratchet works with the kick lever?

jeffro22

yes,  hope This helps.  Thanks

redsetta

I agree - the anti-reverse ratchet and clutch pawl are worth a closer look, ie:

The ratchet gear should bed down on the square-cut drive shaft (ie yellow arrow) and actuate against the clutch pawl to 'kick' the reel back into gear (ie the white arrow).
Is there any chance it's either not bedding down properly or is jumping over the clutch pawl?
Also, does the clutch (or 'thumb') bar spring back up when you turn the handle?
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

actually, i see the problem.  the kick lever pawl (key #1306) is damaged.  i have a couple here.  they are $4 each.  figure $3 for shipping.  send me a pm with your address and i'll get one into the mail.  alan

jeffro22

Quote from: alantani on November 03, 2020, 08:50:25 PM
actually, i see the problem.  the kick lever pawl (key #1306) is damaged.  i have a couple here.  they are $4 each.  figure $3 for shipping.  send me a pm with your address and i'll get one into the mail.  alan

That sounds great!  Almost gave up on this reel .  I'll send you a pm.

jeffro22

Quote from: redsetta on November 03, 2020, 08:44:18 PM
I agree - the anti-reverse ratchet and clutch pawl are worth a closer look, ie:

The ratchet gear should bed down on the square-cut drive shaft (ie yellow arrow) and actuate against the clutch pawl to 'kick' the reel back into gear (ie the white arrow).
Is there any chance it's either not bedding down properly or is jumping over the clutch pawl?
Also, does the clutch (or 'thumb') bar spring back up when you turn the handle?
Good luck, Justin

thanks for the help.  Alan is sending a new clutch prawl. He has a good eye. Not sure how he saw it from that picture but after a closer look I do see a worn area on it.  

I will keep you updated

But to answer your questions. the clutch(thumb bar) is not doing anything when I turn the handle.  It basically will move back and forth loosely.  

I am thinking the ratchet gear is possibly going over the prawl.  Seems like the main drive shaft has some "play" to it also, Not sure how much is normal

Lunker Larry

When the kick lever is worn the ratchet gear will just push it out of the way a bit but not enough to push it back hard enough to engage the clutch button.
Engage the kick lever and just turn the drive shaft with the ratchet gear on it and you will be able to tell. It will push it back or it won't.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

jeffro22

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!! Really appreciate the help!

My new clutch prawl showed up today and I got everything cleaned up and installed.  Huge thanks to Alan for sending the part.  I would have never noticed the wear on the old prawl,  THANK YOU!!

went ahead and put new bearings and carbontex washers in.  replaced a broken/cracked clutch ber guide and now other than the rough appearance it seems like a new reel

Just finished putting it back together and really happy that it is working properly again.  Almost gave the reel away.  I had sent it to a "reel repair" service a few years ago for a service and was told it was fixed but it never worked.  I was then told it needed parts that weren't available. after seeing how dirty the inside looked i am not sure it was ever even opened up.   It has been sitting in my garage since.

anyway. thanks again for the help and taking time to posting up the original break downs on this reel

Here is a couple pics of the new prawl installed and all cleaned up and A couple of the damaged prawl