Penn 2000 Speed Shifter Low Profile Baitcaster Automatic Two Speed

Started by thrasher, November 02, 2020, 01:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrasher

Steelfish has a great post about this reel so I wont go to far into the explanation of it. I just wanted to post some pics of the tear down. It has a lot of parts but isn't too complicated, reminds me of a old shimano speedmaster.

A shot of the reel and a  shot of the handle removed

A pic of pre-set knob, pre-set click holder, star click spring and 2 wave springs removed

Removing drag star, star click holder,star click spring, drag spring washer and drag spacing sleeve

Removal of the right side plate and the fun starts

Here I removed the drag pressure plate,drag washer and keyed drag washer

Now I remove the four planetary gears, disc space collar, pre-set sleeve and 1 of 2 pre-set disc(looks like a drag washer)

Ok, here I remove the drive gear assembly, internal gear, internal stopper spring and the other pre-set disc(the other drag washer)

Now I removed the handle shaft, handle shaft washer, clutch cam plate, anti reverse ratchet and the ratchet disc

Finally I removed all the loose parts are removed. The internal gear dog, clutch yoke springs, clutch yoke, pinion gear/collar, anti-revers dog and dog silencer

All loose parts removed

Heres the only tricky part and not that tricky ;D I put the handle shaft washer, clutch cam plate, anti reverse ratchet onto the handle shaft. Holding all those parts together you stick them into the bushing in the frame. Hold it tight and place on its side. Now stack all parts back onto the handle shaft in reverse order of removal and put right side plate back on. place all the star drag components, pre-set knob components and then the handle. In the pic I have the handle shaft washer upside down

These four pics of the left side plate and the mag control. pretty basic. The white piece has two magnets on top and bottom, when you increase the mags it moves further on that thin disc attached to the spool

Again Steelfish has a good review of this reel along with the schematics

Benni3

Fantastic job,,,,, :o I know the members here have the 2000 and I have never herd of any problems,,,,,,, :D must be better engineered than expected,,,,,, ;D

Swami805

I have one, haven't tried it though, one day
Thanks for taking the plunge and showing the breakdown, could come in handy!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: thrasher on November 02, 2020, 01:16:29 AM
Steelfish has a great post about this reel .......
Again Steelfish has a good review of this reel along with the schematics

geeezz, my thread is only external pictures on the reel LOL, I've never found the courage to open it up yet ;D ;D
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27881.0

main reason is I think I will ever use it in saltwater and not a single freshwater current or river at 160 miles from me, I have many reels in that size that I will use before this one not because I dont like it but because I like it a lot and dont want to ruin it on the beach or boat.

thanks for the pictures, looks like a doable job for a boring day, looks like I was thinking it would be, too dang many small parts, I shocked to see the planetary gears on it, it looks like a swiss clock !!

did you tried to make the two speed to work?
The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat