Jigmaster 501

Started by mo65, November 06, 2020, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I didn't see a 501 heading here, but the 501 has been around since the 60s, that is certainly vintage enough for me. This one is made from mostly the older parts, but the parts list does range from the 60s up to about 2000. Many folks think a "frankenreel" is just a hodge-podge of parts all screwed together. Not true...that is what's known as a "POS".(piece of sh*t) :D  A frankenreel is a custom reel made from an assemblage of parts, often tweeked to make the assemblage mate correctly. They can be parts from different models, different times, even different manufacturers. When transcending decades, tolerances can change slightly, making a "working" reel a challenge.
  My buddy Rob loved the red XN Jiggy I recently built, so I made him this one from my parts bin. The first pic is all the parts I used. It looks like just a red 501 torn down...but it ain't. The only parts here that had previously met were the sideplates and the main/pinion gears.

Although this main/pinion set doesn't look like much, the pieces are a matched set and very smooth. I have built $300-500 Jiggies that would love to be as smooth as these old gears.

My first stumbling block was this spool rub circled in yellow...just look at the positioning of the rub to determine where the rubbing is coming from.

It is hard to believe that little tiny bit of screw protruding from the bridge could have been the problem, but it certainly was. I even tried different bearings thinking that might be an easy fix(a new unworn bearing would push the spool shaft out/farther away just a tad)...no dice.

Filing the screws flush did it. Also had to file the AR dog spring post a bit.

The bridge I selected for this project had a trashed gear sleeve, as can be seen in the photo below. The NOS sleeve on the left is a must if you ever plan to put any pressure on the handle.

Often when swapping out gear sleeves, you'll end up with too much lateral play in the sleeve. This requires the art of shimming...which has to be the most over though art since the question "which drag grease should I use?" I used a .012 shim under this sleeve.

All finished, she's a nice lookin' reel! It ain't period correct...unless the period is 40 years long. Some reels are for the shelf, others are for the water. I have a feeling this one will be gettin' wet. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Hmm, that's a first, never heard of a spool rubbing from that! Very nice reel.

My 501 has all steel gears but they are smooth as can be. The 501 is one of my favorite reels of all time.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

David Hall

I really like the narrow 501.  Nice job on this one Mo.

Wompus Cat

Nice work.
O'l    Johnny Cash would be proud to put it in his 49,50,51,52,53...........
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

We are expecting rain and snow over the weekend — then are heading out of town over to the Coast all of next week.

So I decided to return reels and pick up any to service, restore and repair from various shops and sporting goods stores down in the valley this morning —

This is a normal route that I do every 2 weeks — covering 5 towns within 60 miles.

Included in the 11 reels picked up today for restoration — are a couple of 501's.  One old maroon, and one with newer black plates.

These are enjoyable reels to work on and fish with.

Excellent work, Mike!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

milne

Another great write up Mo,  as usual.....
So good for future referencing..
Great Job.

Col

Eddie K

Nice work. 
Steel gears for your Jigmaster.  I like it!
Tight lines!

JRD

Great job Mo!  Your bench top is way too clean though.

Ron Jones

She's a 49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59 Penn fishin' reel!

With you putting it together, I'm sure it will fish with the best of them.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Hey thanks everyone! I shot Rob a link to this thread and he was so stoked because everyone was diggin' his reel. I've got that Johnny Cash "one piece at a time" tune going in my head still...HA!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

El Pescador

MOmeister!!!

GREAT tune and for those of you who have NOT heard it, here it is...

I can remember my Dad listening to this song on his black & chrome Zenith AM & FM radio on his workbench. 

It was broadcasted from KRAK radio in Sacramento, CA - a truly County Western radio station if there ever was one!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

thorhammer

i immediately thought of that song when i saw Mike's build.

nelz

Quote from: El Pescador on November 11, 2020, 04:17:05 PMGREAT tune and for those of you who have NOT heard it, here it is...

Well this is my first time Wayne, cool tune! That must've been some kinda' lunchbox, lol.  ::)

sharkman