Penn Senator 14/0 Drag Wont Stay Engaged

Started by HawaiiSharkConservation, November 11, 2020, 05:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawaiiSharkConservation

Aloha All! I was hooked up to the local 14 foot Tiger Shark and was doing great for all of 45 minutes, but halfway through the fight my drag just gave out. Every time I would tighten the star and try to reel the drag would go to practically nothing. If drag is pulled from the reel I can visually watch the star come loose until its at zero drag. I took my reel apart and nothing seems to be bent or busted, but it is still slipping. Please help me!!!

oc1

Maybe the drag washers have flattened and the star is bottoming out on the side plate.  Pulling drag with the star rubbing on the side plate can loosen it.  New drag washers or thicker washers might fix it.

I wish we had a local 14 foot tiger.  The turtles are multiplying and taking over everything.
-steve

HawaiiSharkConservation

Would you recommend replacing the HT100 washers or adding an extra one to compensate for the space?

RowdyW

Try adding another metal keyed washer on top of the stack.             Rudy

Gfish

Do you have the wavy spring washer between the star and drag sleeve?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

HawaiiSharkConservation

Quote from: RowdyW on November 11, 2020, 06:53:58 AM
Try adding another metal keyed washer on top of the stack.             Rudy

So I added one and it definitely increased the drag, but the star kept spinning still.

Gfish

9:50 in the 808, it's still early here with the holiday tomorrow.
Was the Shark from a boat or shore?

This one is a good mystery.

(Thanks for fixing that Dominick!, I'm certain I did it, new iPad keyboard)
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

HawaiiSharkConservation

Quote from: Gfish on November 11, 2020, 07:57:57 AM
9:50 in the 808, it's still early here with the holiday tomorrow. How'ed you make that line on my post? I didn't do it, did I?
Was the Shark from a boat or shore?

This one is a good mystery.

It was like that when you posted so I am not too sure, but heres a link to a video I made of what's happening:

Update: when the drag is engaged and I try to reel it comes loose as well. And this was shark fishing from shore btw.

1badf350

I see a large gap between the handle blade and the star. Are you sure you have everything assembled correctly and nothing missing
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 11, 2020, 01:39:34 PM
I see a large gap between the handle blade and the star. Are you sure you have everything assembled correctly and nothing missing

is there a spacing sleeve between star and top drag washer (wavy)?

Maxed Out

It's all guesswork until we can see the actual drag configuration

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

My money is on the wavey spring washer between the hand and star isn't putting enough pressure on the star to keep it from loosening
Do what you can with that you have where you are

HawaiiSharkConservation

Quote from: thorhammer on November 11, 2020, 01:52:22 PM
Quote from: 1badf350 on November 11, 2020, 01:39:34 PM

is there a spacing sleeve between star and top drag washer (wavy)?

I believe that there is one

HawaiiSharkConservation

Quote from: Swami805 on November 11, 2020, 06:25:34 PM
My money is on the wavey spring washer between the hand and star isn't putting enough pressure on the star to keep it from loosening

You think I should buy a new one or what should I try?