TOR20 Problem

Started by GoFish, December 24, 2011, 10:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoFish

Hey all.  My Torium 20 has issues.  When in freespool, if I turn the handle the spool turns slowely, and it only freespools for about 8 seconds.  What's the fix?  (note- dart drags).

Nessie Hunter

First thought is Bearings and/or corrosion/Salt build up in them & pinion???

Get some Spray Brake Cleaner and can of Computer Air (or compressor), clean and blow them out good, drop of TSI301..
If they dont clean and spin for ever, replace them..
Clean out the Pinion Gear & Spool Shaft, another drop of oil...

While your in there its a great time for a full service & carbontex & drag grease....

1 Call or email to Smoothdrags should get all the parts at best price!!!!

Good reels, should serve you well for a long time...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

GoFish

Maybe Alan will chime in on this too.

kamuwela

Paleoreelist

You may have  this problem, maybe no so extreme!

The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a Y.

GoFish

I've serviced the reel, the bearings are fine.

Paleoreelist

Only other thing I can think of, to much grease on the pinion gear maybe?
Or check to see if the Yoke plate is disengaging the pinion gear from the main correctly, as if you are able to turn the spool by winding (cranking)
while in freespool something has still got to be making contact.

Ron.
The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a Y.

Nessie Hunter

I agree, just something as simple as a little grease on Edge of spool or frame, inside Pinion etc.  These little things will slow it to a crawl... 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

yeah, crud inside the pinion gear!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CapeFish

it could be that when you put it back to together again the roller clutch inner tube and the large bearing the drive shaft runs on (part # 486) did not all align 100%. this has happened to me more than once when first started taking my reel apart. make sure the inner tube is correctly in place before re-assembling the side plate and that the bearing sits flush, not protruding from the sideplate housing.

GoFish

As I've checked everything else that has been mentioned, that may be it...(part #486 not set completely)  Currently, I'm getting only about 6 seconds freespool only w/ a dot of speedex on the spool bearings.

Tnx for the input fellas.