Replace Shimano Talica reelfoot screws?

Started by Drisse, November 18, 2020, 03:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hi Folks! I got a bunch of Shimano Talicas in for service. Most of them have alot of salt on the reelfoot and down the threads of the screws that holds it. I've already messed up the head on a couple of screws even if I use the right screwdriver. I think they are of poor quality compared to other screws. Any example of new ones? Are there any similar flatheaded torx screws ?

Bryan Young

I haven't found any that have a low profile like those stock ones. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the reel foot will have to be disassembled, cleaned, greased ad reassembled.  i'd take the reel apart, down to the frame, then take a propane torch to each screw for about 20 seconds.  that should do it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

Thanks Bryan !

Alan, I'll try that. Just did 20 Omoto reels and they had countersunk torx. Way better.

alantani

to make matters worse, many of the screws have loctite.  the loctite has heated to that it will soften up.  otherwise, you will be snapping off all of the heads of all the screws.....   >:(
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

I used a propane torch as you advised Alan. Helped alot, but I still mess up a couple of screws. Ordered a bunch of new screws to try. They are lowprofile like the original. But I think the head of the screws is a bit tiny. I think they will hold, but what do you guys think ?

RowdyW

My opinion would be that the original screws were difficult to remove because of loctite & corrosion. If original new screws are used with clean threads in the frame with marine grease there would be no problem removing them in the future. Those torx screws you are trying use very small bit that might strip with a lot of pressure. I would use new original screws  & don't skimp on the lube. Loctite should not be needed.  JMO             Rudy

Drisse

Thanks RowdyW. Yes, the original screws are a nightmare to loose. The reels are used hard under longtime/years in Norway. The screws/reelseat never been greased before. Then I have to try and find new and better replacement screws. Original is the hardest for me to find since I live in Scandinavia. Never any luck with Shimanoparts here.

Cor

I have an Okuma Contura where the foot came apart completely during a fishing trip to Australia.     I fixed it a bit crudely but effectively with 4 new 5mm SS bolts.
Cornelis

Drisse

Found two types of replacement screws maybe worth to try. The flat torx size have the correct lenghth since the original have two lenghts with 6 and 7mm. The hexagon could only be found in 6 and 8mm. That extra mm stands out a bit, but it works. What do you think? Will the torx head hold up for some pressure on the reel ? The original is in the uper right corner.

RowdyW

Either should work out fine. If any are to long just grind or file them flush & reinstall with marine grease.     Rudy

Drisse

Cor

I prefer the look of the smaller torx and am sure strength won't be an issue.

If the screw is even slightly too long you will need to grind it down smoothly, as it may sometimes have contact with the line.
Cornelis