Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

philaroman

oc1

philaroman

ain't it, though?
it's liquid, yet it's solid;
it's supposed to stick to stuff AND reduce friction;
and if you let do nothing, but rest for a couple years, the stupid stuff SWEATS ???

Gobi King

Nothing says you love your reels than
'I make my own grease from scratch"
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Lalo13

I have noticed that this grease business has become almost a spy vs spy  deal . Some greases have a cult following , others are sold out everywhere . Strange that in this day and age the internet hasn't revealed more of these secrets . Patience and persistence is the key to it all I guess. A few gallons of beer and Tequila might help too .   ;D ;D ;D

thorhammer

Nope. I had a case of beer and a fifth of Hornitos since Friday, I'm actually an industrial chemist among other things, but I still used Penn Blue and Cal's on a Mag 10 today that needed love. I did cook a lot of bacon, does that count?? ;D

basenjib123

Saw this stuff called Deuthlon .. sells for 30 bucks an OZ.  plus shipping  :o  I finally made a batch that is as good as that stuff for about 1.50 an ounce  ;D

Bill B

Sal passed his formula to me, valvoline Marine Grease and automatic transmission fluid, mixed until the consistency is what you need.  More ATF for spinners, less for conventional gear train.  The Marine Grease is the key for this, salt water resistance is what it brings to the table.  Been mixing and using for about a year, good results so far....Otherwise Penn Blue and Cal's......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

basenjib123

My formula includes bar and chain oil ... stuff will not sling off the gears.

oc1

If you get something labeled "open gear lube" it will be really tacky.  It stays put at 3600 rpm.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I stopped playing with greases a few years ago after I found my 'universal grease' Smith & Allan Teflube Plus 2 Grease. It is a synthetic colourless translucent grease with PTFE. I use it on everything, including drags. It doesn't seem to 'split' (sweat?) over time like most greases. If I need something thinner, say for small spinners, I add a few drops of TSI321.

wfjord

For an all-around general reel lube I whip up my own blend of Yamaha blue marine grease and CorrosionX mixed to the consistency I like.  I've used it for a couple years now and it's been long lasting and stays in place nicely.

(TSI321 for bearings, level-winds and any other application that needs a light oil)

Cuttyhunker

Steve I've been known to go nuts cranking in a fish, but don't think I've achieved 3600 RPM yet!
Doomed from childhood

Gobi King

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on November 25, 2020, 03:16:41 PM
Steve I've been known to go nuts cranking in a fish, but don't think I've achieved 3600 RPM yet!

legend has it that in Cedros, magnus von magnason was fishing and had a small yellow tail on, he was fishing his custom geared penn with 3 gears and in the final gear he was cranking close to 3595 rpm....  ;D ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan