Penn 500 coarse vs fine thread??

Started by Cuttyhunker, November 22, 2020, 04:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

I have some 500 Jiggy's that have rounded handle seats on the brass sleeve.  Could someone please post the pitch in threads per inch for the coarse and fine threads on the 500 sleeve so I can use a pitch gauge to determine which ones I have to get in to fix up these old girls
Thanks,
Bob
Doomed from childhood

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

An easy way to determine which thread your sleeve has is to just look at the back of the drag star. If it is stamped #10-60, your sleeve is coarse thread. If it is stamped #10-505, the sleeve is fine thread. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood

jurelometer

Alan (Tani) did a post not tool long ago explaining how to use a punch or press to reshape the handle seat.  Brass is pretty malleable.    This could be an option if you don't want to go to a the longer term solution of a stainless gear sleeve.

-J

Cuttyhunker

The only sleeves I can find for the 500 are fine, do you have a source for coarse sleeve, SS or brass?  The complete coarse bridge can be had from Mystic.  Thanks for the reshape lead, I'll scope it out
Doomed from childhood

RowdyW

Mystic numbers for brass sleeves are 98-60 coarse & 98-505 fine brass. SS is also listed on the list toward the bottom of the list. You got to search the whole list.     Rudy

Gfish

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on November 23, 2020, 10:56:31 AM
The only sleeves I can find for the 500 are fine, do you have a source for coarse sleeve, SS or brass?  The complete coarse bridge can be had from Mystic.  Thanks for the reshape lead, I'll scope it out

I have 3--98-60 JM 500 sleeves(brass/coarse threads)left-over from upgrading to the SS 505 sleeves. A test handle feels tight when I put it on em. Also I have an extra 10-66(larger than a 10-60, but also thicker) if you wanna try it. N/C, PM if interested.

Wonderin what the thread pitch on these 2 are also?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cuttyhunker

Gfish. Thread pitch is course 24, fine 32, the post diameter for a die is 13/32" for both, this info is from the above mentioned post by Alan from Jurelometer on attempting to save the "rounders" sleeves. PM coming, Thank You.

Rowdy. Was looking for a different number, 3-98, if I recall correctly, Thanks for the heads up on Mystic's #'s.  I guess I still have too much A.D.D. to get all the way to the bottom.  ;)

This seems to be a fairly common occurrence with the brass sleeved older Jiggy's.  Great reels though.
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Ok. I have one slightly rounded. I'll keep that'n, and check out Allen's thread. I've been farmer riggin em, with copper shims so far, but I've got a 130 Sailfisher with the odd size gear sleeve that's also slightly rounded. Test repair the 98-60 then if I succeed, do the 130.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood

twotone

Has anyone tried brazing a sleeve? If you have access to brazing torch it could be a cheap way to save the gear sleeve.

Tom H has pitch sizes on his site for gear sleeves. Thanks Tom H
twotone

Cuttyhunker

Good thought on brazing which makes me think, maybe just solder the handle to the sleeve? Something to try on a clunker to see if it would stand up. Even if the solder was too soft and the handle gets loose again I could probably still finish out the trip, as I've only ever seen the handles wiggly loose never 360 stripped and unable to crank.  Any plumbers here with a recommendation on what grade of solder might work?
Doomed from childhood

twotone

I was thinking you could braze a spot on each side of the grear sleeve . This would add material to shape for fitment. Like a spot weld. The heat could possibly cause distortion  on the inside of the threads. Thus having to chase the threads of the sleeve.
twotone

RowdyW

A new sleeve is less than $6.00. Trying to repair it is a waste of time. It won't last as long as a new one.