Triton Beastmaster 50/80 drag help needed

Started by jlnel, November 22, 2020, 07:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlnel

Hi all.

A guy brought me a Triton Beastmaster 50/80 two speed and said no drag.

I looked at schematics and seems to be there but to me on the reel, looks like there should be a washer between the clutch plate on the right ant the left.

The right has a toothy look and feel but rides up on the plastic of the left one and is real rough when you reel and apply light pressure to the spool to make it slip.

Any ideas, i dont work on many Shimanos so i need some help.

Thank you!

alantani

ok, these are usually an absolute mess.  this is the reel that has the gel pad inside that always leaks a sticky black goo everywhere.  they are an absolute mess.  one guy figured out a fix but he wouldn't share.  i found something that i think will work, but i never had a chance to see.  in place of the gel pad, i was going to use this silicone rubber with the adhesive backing.  and fortunately, dawn at smoothdrag.com has a carbon fiber drag washer to replace the white canvas washer that you currently have.  if you pursue this, please let us know if it worked.  i have a reel that needs service and i'm afraid to crack it open.  good luck!!!!  alan

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3780

High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Sheet

Adhesive-Back, with Certificate, 1/8" Thick, 60A Durometer, 12" x 12"
1464N14

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jlnel

There was some thick gunk when i opened.
Where would the gel pad go?

Quote from: alantani on November 22, 2020, 09:29:20 PM
ok, these are usually an absolute mess.  this is the reel that has the gel pad inside that always leaks a sticky black goo everywhere.  they are an absolute mess.  one guy figured out a fix but he wouldn't share.  i found something that i think will work, but i never had a chance to see.  in place of the gel pad, i was going to use this silicone rubber with the adhesive backing.  and fortunately, dawn at smoothdrag.com has a carbon fiber drag washer to replace the white canvas washer that you currently have.  if you pursue this, please let us know if it worked.  i have a reel that needs service and i'm afraid to crack it open.  good luck!!!!  alan

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3780

High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Sheet

Adhesive-Back, with Certificate, 1/8" Thick, 60A Durometer, 12" x 12"
1464N14

alantani

it replaces the gel pad, but it's been so long that i don't remember.  i'm guessing that there are only so many possibilities. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Hi mate,
This'll help:
Acetone will dissolve any remaining silicon.
Bear in mind that the replacement ring will need to be epoxied into place.
The 50/80 is a fantastic reel once the work is done...
Let us know if you run into any difficulties.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer